1. e(g)

e(g) Member

My Fear of Writing

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by e(g), Jul 11, 2011.

I've been writing off and on since I was eighteen. I am...ahem...somewhat older now.

The problem is I'm a perfectionist of sorts, and I find it very intimidating to face writing each day. For the last three days, however, I have forced myself to do it, and my goal is to establish a habit where I write at least three hundred words a day on a new novel and edit three pages a day on a finished novel.

Still, I find I'm intimidated by writing. When I actually write, it goes well. I find the words I want, and the "fear" goes away. But all my life this fear has kept me from committing to it the way I need to in order to be successful.

Does anyone else have a "fear" of writing? If so, what do you do about it?

2. Mallory

Mallory Mallegory. Contributor

Write and don't think about it. Start as soon as you have the worry so it doesn't have time to fester.

It's like bringing up an awkward conversation....the more you think about it, the more you worry, and the worse it gets. But if you just jump into it, you'll have it over with, and you'll end up feeling relieved and proud of yourself.

By the way, I applaud you for your small daily word count goal, that's something I recommend.

3. superdoopersauce

superdoopersauce Member

I understand your perfectionist comment... sometimes I get stuck on a few sentences or a paragraph, and instead of moving on and revising later, I get frustrated and end up with a partially finished idea. Like yesterday, I tried to write a very short movie review (~100 words), and I spent 20 minutes on it to no real avail. I could have gone onto something else, but I just got discouraged. I think getting into a habit of writing and setting goals for yourself will overcome that... I liked your suggestion of a daily word count goal, I'm actually going to try that for myself :)

4. Daydream

Daydream Contributing Member Contributor

Yeh i'm definitely going through it at the moment. Finished the plan for my first novel, but i'm to scared i'm going to screw it up :(

5. Nilfiry

Nilfiry Contributing Member

My fear of writing is being unable to tell the story in the way that I believe it deserves to be told. I continue anyway because I believe it is better to have written it to the best of my ability, even if it is inadequate, than not at all.

6. VM80

VM80 Contributing Member Contributor

You said it yourself. When you write, it's fine. So I think you're doing the right thing in having a 'writing routine'. Over time you won't be as intimidated and as you see the pages fill, that should give you constant little boosts to carry on.

Good luck

7. thatguy

thatguy Member

If you've already written a novel, wouldn't it be easier and a little less scary to kick off on the next one? I really am curious as I've never completed anything nearly that significant. Is the second one harder or easier?

8. VM80

VM80 Contributing Member Contributor

^^
    Technically yes, for me. I guess it's easier because of what I learned writing the previous one.

But story-wise, I was really passionate about what I was writing, and to come up with something that moves me in the same way... well I haven't found it yet.

9. e(g)

e(g) Member

Yes, I think that's the best thing, a routine with a small word count as Mallory suggested. But it's so strange: right now, as I am writing this, I know I need to switch over and do my writing in my novel, and yet I am afraid to. That's why I'm in here instead of there. But I'm going to, as soon as I finish this post, and intellectually, I know I'll be fine. Yet it produces such an anxiety for some reason.

The first novel, I'm putting the finishing touches on, a final copy edit. I'm going to self-publish it (as I will all my novels). But I wrote it back in 2006, and I've only written a short story since then. Granted, I've written several thousand words on this most current one.

I think it will get easier with the third one, if I keep a regular routine. In fact, I think it will get a great deal easier and I may be able to put out two books a year, eventually. But right now, taking action on "becoming" a novelist feels so intimidating. I don't know why.

10. Gigi_GNR

Gigi_GNR Guys, come on. WAFFLE-O. Contributor

Completely agreed. You just have to jump in, worries be damned, and write your heart out. Otherwise you end up psyching yourself out, and that's never good.

11. Lavender Soda

Lavender Soda Member

Yeah, I've always had that problem.
    I think I just have a low esteem and I don't think I can do any good and I fear sharing my stories and even my drawings. I end up writing my stories in my own little language and if I feel it's good enough I may write it again so other people can actually read it.