1. Normal

Normal New Member

My first rejection!

Discussion in 'Traditional Publishing' started by Normal, Mar 4, 2010.

Yay, I got my first rejection today.

Thank you for giving us the chance to read your work. Unfortunately, we
    won't be using this piece for the next issue. Please keep us in mind for
    the future and more importantly, keep writing!

Peace,

At least it was nice!

2. Speedy

Speedy Contributor Contributor

Here's to many more before the breakthrough :D

3. Prometheus

Prometheus Banned

I got one of those, unless two separate companies use this line: "Please keep us in mind for the future and more importantly, keep writing!"

4. BBWalter

BBWalter New Member

Unfortunately, Prometheus, most of the rejection letters I've gotten (I call them "slips" actually) have been worded almost exact to this. Not to burst bubbles or deflate sails, but I've come to recognize it as a fairly standard rejection slip. (On the funny side, I've almost papered an entire wall with them! :D)

But, seriously, every rejection slip received means that one (possibly two) more person(s) has read and now knows your work...So keep it up! In the long run, persistence will pay off...Or you'll have free wallpaper. Win-win, right? :D

BB Walter

5. writewizard

writewizard New Member

Awesome. Keep up writing.

6. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

they are stock rejections, but at least you got someone to read your query... a step in the right direction...

7. SilverWolf0101

SilverWolf0101 Active Member

Yay! Rejection! lol

Anyways, glad to see your taking it so well. Most people get a rejection and fall into this deep depression thinking it'll never end. But yeah, don't let this rejection get you down, it just means your taking it one step further to your goal :)

Good luck on all future attempts

8. Manic056

Manic056 New Member

One rejection closer to acceptance.

9. ithestargazer

ithestargazer Active Member

J.K Rowling was rejected like 8 times before Bloomsbury picked up Harry Potter... she just kept trying

10. black-radish

black-radish New Member

I bet those eight publishers feel pretty stupid now.

Normal, at least you finished something! Keep trying and I'm sure your work will be rewarded! :D

11. Kursal

Kursal New Member

You know, I think that means you're a proper writer now and not just a 'wannabe' ;-)

I remember my first rejection actually. It was frighteningly similar to that one but someone had scribbled what I can only assume was there lunch order on the bottom of it. To this day I have no idea what a young writer should do with the advice:

"1 Chicken Mayo, Yogurt, Flapjack."

12. SquigglewithMeaning

SquigglewithMeaning New Member

In one writing book I read, it mentioned that a few well known authors like stephen king, and a few others that I forget, submitted work under fake names for some reason, and all were rejected.

Made quite an impression on me at least. I`ll have to dig out the article at some point and reread it.

And as others have said, keep on with the good work Normal :)

13. Rajikai

Rajikai Member

You can only learn through your failures. Those who succeed in everything won't have a story in the future, while those who fail, will tell stories of their trails before they even walk to their children or such.

Keep trying and never give up, each work you make will be better than the previous in one way or the other.

14. Elvis

Elvis New Member

I recently submitted a short story, the first thing I had ever submitted, and got rejected. So now I officially have a batting average, and it's .000.

My rejection letter was very nice also, and it also encouraged me to continue to submit.

I think many people have the wrong view of rejection letters. Someone took the time to actually read your submission and actually craft a thoughtful response -- even better if they actually include some constructive criticism specific to your piece, which means they actually see some potential in you.

The way I see it, no one is obligated to use my writing. So if what I submit is unacceptable, it's on me to write something better.

Don't get me wrong, rejection is, by its nature, discouraging. But in that discouragement, there's something cool about the feeling, too.

Plus, it gives all of us who have been rejected something in common, something that we can all relate to, something that we can discuss and bond over.

15. Elvis

Elvis New Member

There's gotta be inspiration for a story in there somewhere!