1. missupernatural

missupernatural New Member

Elance.Com

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by missupernatural, Jan 25, 2008.

Okay, so I'm looking into doing a little freelance writing. More experience means better writing (hopefully), right?

So I was browsing the web, checking out freelance websites.

I came across Elance.com with its bidding system, but I was wondering whether there were any better websites out there that allowed for non US writers to submit.

Any help would be fantastic.

Edwina.

2. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

I don't really know. But you might have better luck asking this in Writing Issues -> Publishers.

3. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

why would you bother with some silly site, instead of submitting your work directly to publishers?... no matter where you live, you can submit queries and articles to us publishers, as long as your english is good enough...

4. missupernatural

Thanks.

I suppose you're right. I might have an opportunity to do movie reviews for my local paper, if certain things fall into place.

;)

5. Daniel

Daniel I'm sure you've heard the rumors Founder Staff

Elance is for freelance writing, correct? If I understand correctly you people hire you to write? (the site's down at the moment so I can't check). I've heard of them before, so I think they're fairly reputable.

6. Raven

Raven Banned

Yeah they are ok I've heard of them too from a member off a different forum but that member seemed happy with them.

7. mammamaia

does anyone know anyone who actually makes a living by posting their work on elance?

8. Raven

Raven Banned

I'm afraid not.

Trouble is many things are decieving or a bit of a com its always a gamble. I guess it depends on hopw bad you want your work published.

9. Torana

Torana Contributor Contributor

I don't know anyone who has made a living off that site no. But i've not heard anything bad about it either.

10. mammamaia

the absence of 'bad' does not necessarily = 'good'...

11. Torana

Torana Contributor Contributor

Yes I know maia. With things like this you really need to do thorough back ground checks. But the world is changing maia and a lot of people don't tend to bother with making writing a career anymore, just an enjoyable pass time/hobby. Also with the way technology has gone plenty more opportunities are available to the average writer via the internet.
    It may not pay off as well as going through proper publication services, but sometimes a writer just feels that a publication, no matter how big or small, is better than no publication at all.

I know you will have your own opinions on what I just posted here and you are entitled to them. But this is something I know a lot of writers I have spoken to across the net feel. A few becoming successful to a certain degree by publishing online. Actually making money and gaining interest of bigger publishers. It isn't a career, but just something they enjoy.

Missupernatural, I wish you all the luck in the world with this endeavour. Won't be easy, but I am sure it will be enjoyable.

12. missupernatural

Thanks. It's certainly not going to be an income (nor do I need it to being 16 years old).

I think I'm just going to give it time, and try to develop my writing skills without the added pressure. I still haven't found my voice.