1. zebra_cake

zebra_cake New Member

Hey there.

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by zebra_cake, Mar 29, 2009.

Hi everyone. I'm a college student from New Jersey. I love to write, especially poetry and short stories. I'm in a Creative Writing class right now, and so far I've been dissatisfied with the feedback from my professor and classmates. I Googled "writing forum," and of course this came up! I've always wanted to participate in one of these but never did! I joined the PostSecret community, but I never got real into it. This one suits me. So far I've enjoyed what I've read, and I hope at least somebody enjoys my work.

Hm, what else about me? I'm an Education major. I work at a preschool, and I love it. I tend to like everyone I meet, and I'm happy to "meet" all of you!

2. chandler245

chandler245 Banned

What kind of writing have you done or do? Have you been published yet? Is that your goal?

3. zebra_cake

zebra_cake New Member

Someday. It's just a hobby right now. I'm pretty shy about sharing my work.

4. chandler245

chandler245 Banned

Why be shy? You have no reason too be. I bet it is good.

5. zebra_cake

zebra_cake New Member

Well, thanks, but I'm too much of a perfectionist. I don't even submit anonymously to any contests or literary magazines unless I'm sure I've done my best. And, although all my writing is "fiction," there is nothing fiction about it. Everything I write is real to me. It happened, I felt it, I remembered it, I interpreted it. Sharing my writing is like baring my soul. It's just not easy, but I'm working on it.

6. chandler245

chandler245 Banned

You can't improve if you don't let anyone but professors and classmates look. and think about it with the classmates, their learning too. Don't be shy or disappointed. If you love to write and love to teach combine the two and use it.

7. zebra_cake

zebra_cake New Member

You're right. Thanks. No one's ever really said it like that before.

8. chandler245

chandler245 Banned

I started writing a book, I can feel my charters in my head, physically, emotionally, at times I think that they are real. I have to write a synopsis and send it to a lit agency, which I have never done. They tell me that it has to be perfect in every way and I am the same as you perfectionist, I still suck, but you got to let your work out.

9. zebra_cake

zebra_cake New Member

That's great! Congratulations! Did they really say it has to be perfect? How could anything be perfect, really?

Good luck, by the way! You can do it. I'm sure you can find someone with experience to help you out.

10. chandler245

chandler245 Banned

I will tell you a small story, this is how my book came about. I felt cold arms wrap around me when I was sleeping. I had a dream that I was walking down a cold alley and a man, demon, angel came from the sky above and was going to take me, where? I don't know. I woke up, because it felt so real and my 7 year old had to get up for school. I asked my husband on the way out if he came to bed and if he had put his arms around me, he said no, he slept on the couch that night. Your storys will come out one way or another. I started writing and now it is turning into a book. I took creative writing when I was in high shcool and that was a long time ago

11. zebra_cake

zebra_cake New Member

Wow, that's intense. When did you start writing it? How much have you written so far?

12. chandler245

chandler245 Banned

I have 4 chapters done and I am starting the 5th chapter. I have dreams and loads of notebooks lying around my house so when I come up with and idea I write it down. I have so many charters involved now that it becomes harder to write and seperate myself from them. I feel my main charters emotions all the time and at times I think that they are my own. Do you ever feel that way?

13. zebra_cake

zebra_cake New Member

Of course. You go full-circle with your characters. They start with you, go their own way, and become you, as you become them.

14. chandler245

chandler245 Banned

My character right now is trying her best not to fall for a man, if you want to call him that, he is a demon, evil to the core, yet there is something that is making him protect her and she wants med. school and a life without a family. Just her self yet so many things (demons) are attempting to kill her and her family and yet she wants to keep moving forward. She is having a hard time coping with everything going on and she feels that dying will solve everything, protect everyone. Including herself.

15. zebra_cake

zebra_cake New Member

Let me know when this is published. I will definitely read it. I wish I had it in front of me already!

16. Dalouise

Dalouise New Member

Hi zebra_cake and welcome! :)

17. Neha

Neha Beyond Infinity. Contributor

Hey Zebra...Welcome to WF..happy to meet you too..:)

18. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Hello Zebra Cake, Welcome to the Writing Forums.

Posting your own work should not be among the very first things you do here. It is worth taking the time to see what other people have done to improve their writing, and see if some of it applies to your writing as well. That is part of why we require members to review other members' work before posting their own for review. On the other hand, there are no restrictions, other than content and copyright rules, on showcasing your work in your member blog.

If you haven't explored the site yet, you should probably do so soon. Newcomers often gravitate to the Lounge, the Word Games, or the Review Room, but there is much more to be discovered if you poke in the corners. Remember to check out our FAQ as well, and be sure to read through the forum rules, too, to avoid any misunderstandings or hurt feelings. Respect for one another is our principal mandate.

As for the Review Room, new joiners often wonder why we do things a bit differently on this site than on other writing sites. We emphasize reviewing as a critical writing skill. Training your eye by reviewing other people's work helps you improve your own writing even before you present it for others to see. Therefore, we ask members to review other people's writing before posting work of their own. The Review Room forums on this site, therefore, are true workshops, not just a bulletin board for displaying your work (and on that note, please only post each item for review in one Review Room forum). See this post, Why Write Reviews Before Posting My Work? for more information.

And while you're looking around, don't forget to check out our Weekly Short Story Contest and Weekly Poetry Contest. They actually run more than one week apiece, but any member may enter, and all members are urged to vote for their favorites.

Enjoy your stay here, and have fun!