1. TomJMiller

TomJMiller New Member

My journaling is rigid and tedious - advice please?

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by TomJMiller, Oct 30, 2014.

First and foremost, as a new member I'd like to say that I'm glad to be a part of the community.

I have a question about journaling and although this forum is more creative writing-oriented, I'm hoping that I can still receive some feedback.

Writing itself is nothing new to me; I've been doing it since my early childhood. However, I've just recently begun to journal. Whenever I write a journal entry, I treat it as if it's a college paper. The process is so slow due to the fact that I begin finding fault with my structure (as if I'm writing for a professor), substituting basic words with more advanced synonyms, etc. Overall, I'm just too hard on myself. I'm making something that should be for leisure so intricate.

Has anyone else had this problem? If so, do you have any advice? Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Tom

2. Darkkin

Darkkin Reflection of a nobody Contributor

I have said this before and I will say it again. Don't analyse, just write. Your post came across just fine, not tedious. It had a natural fluidity.

The place you are tripping yourself up is approaching the project like a college paper; it isn't. The beauty of journaling is its inherent intimacy with the writer's mind. It is a reflection of thoughts, feelings, emotions and ideas. And unless you're trying to journal about a specific subject, you need to lay structure by the wayside.

Let the words flow. If they're simple, so be it. Follow your instincts, don't second guess. And above all else, be honest. I'm guessing that as this is a journal, no one is going to see it. Make mistakes, delve into improper sentence structure, and gasp bad grammar if you want. There will be no one reading it, no one judging.

- Darkkin, the Tedious

peachalulu likes this.
  3. Shadowfax

Shadowfax Contributing Member Contributor

Hi Tom,

Why?

As in, why are you doing it? If it's for fun, and your rigorous standards are making it not fun, why bother? If it's with a view to ultimate publication, bear in mind that you can always edit later.

4. jannert

jannert Contributing Member Supporter Contributor

Drink, Tom. More drink.

Seriously, welcome to the forum. And what @Darkkin and @Shadowfax said. Basically, don't edit, just write. Anything. Everything. Don't worry about how it comes out. If you want to stop in mid sentence or ignore punctuation, do so. If you want to look at it later on and edit it, fine. But don't edit as you write.

It might help if you start each day with a bee in your bonnet about something. Something you're worked up about, care about, are angry about. Don't analyze the situation, just attack it. Avoid being dry and objective. Thrash around, get it all out. Again, you can go back and calmly edit later. But not till much later ...like the next day.

Shadowfax likes this.
  5. Shadowfax

Shadowfax Contributing Member Contributor

Write with passion.

Edit with precision.

jannert likes this.
  6. daemon

daemon Contributing Member Contributor

Try speech recognition software.

Try typing without looking at what you type. (e.g. turn your monitor off.) Never press backspace.

7. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Journaling is not easy to make interesting, because it's nonfiction and based on day-to-day existence. However, if your journal is telling a story with a goal, it can read better. what are the long term goals, and how did the day's events contribute to the journey? What mysteries arise on your quest, and what do you discover in seeking the answers? And leave in the embarrassing moments. Or include flights of fancy, if you have a bit of Walter Mitty in you.

After all, it's probably not sentence structure that's killing you so much as your material.