1. aimi_aiko

aimi_aiko New Member

Ghost Story - Based off of Reality

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by aimi_aiko, Jul 11, 2011.

I currently had a story idea sneak up on me while watching "Ghost Adventures" and I immediately grabbed my notebook and began jotting down the idea that came to me.

The idea above has caused me to consider featuring (possibly) a real-life ghost or woman who had lost her life in the past. I was looking to focus on a real woman from the Victorian Era, but as my research goes so far, I've had no luck finding someone. I've also had the idea to feature a demonic being that had possibly possessed the woman's daughter during child birth (demonic because in the dream, the woman introduces herself three times...which is a demonic number).

I'm looking for how I could possibly do this, but my question is, as a writer, am I allowed to feature real-life characters in a fictional story? As I am having trouble finding someone to focus on, I may lean more toward the demonic idea than the woman. I also find it interesting if I connect the two and focus on a woman who had been killed due to demonic possession.

Would it be easier or safer to make up this woman and focus on a well-known demon?

Or, can I feature a real person?

If you have any other information that would help me regarding the woman I would love to feature, please let me know. Any information you have at all that you find helpful, I appreciate you letting me know.

Thanks and happy writing,
    aimi_aiko

2. aimi_aiko

aimi_aiko New Member

ALSO::

My research is beginning to fail me again... do any of you know if the number 3 has any relation to demonic purposes, beings, etc? I want to add this into my story, but I need to know what I'm talking about for sure before writing it. I've heard that the number 3 is, in fact, demonic. Can anyone clear this up for me?

3. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Contributor

I don't know a lot about the numerology aspect, but from what I've seen occult meanings associated with the number 3 are generally positive - it is held to be a sacred or perfect number.

As for basing off a real person, particularly someone who lived that long ago, I wouldn't worry about it. If you used someone who was still alive, or a famous person whose estate may still be active, I suppose you could run into trouble if you cast them in a bad light (and even then other circumstances would have to exist if the person was dead).

4. aimi_aiko

aimi_aiko New Member

Thank you.

5. e(g)

e(g) New Member

I think your best idea is to focus on a woman who was killed for being demon possessed, and perhaps was actually innocent. I don't think you need to use a real person from history. In fact, that could make the story seem a bit hokey.

I think you have a very interesting idea there: the idea of someone reincarnating to accomplish something in the future world.

I hope you do something good with it and publish it so I can read it.

Sincerely,

E of G

6. aimi_aiko

aimi_aiko New Member

I appreciate that, thank you.

7. aimi_aiko

aimi_aiko New Member

UPDATE::

I've given into the idea of focusing on a woman who died from demon possession (I also added in that she was pregnant with triplets during the possession - she never gave birth to them - demon possession killed them as well) and she is from the Victorian Era. I am not going to focus on any real-life character of any sort. Every character created is from my mind and creativity.

Though, I do have another question I am concerned about.

Is it alright if I created the demon whose affinity focuses on the number three? I want to create the demon and have it do everything in threes...(Victorian woman and her triplets - 3, introducing herself three times) and I may also tie in the number three with the child as well. The demon will play a part in the story again once it finds out that the woman it had possessed and killed has been re-incarnated in the child. I currently have the child's ideal age for the story at 6 years old. I can focus on a flashback of the child's 3rd birthday or so, and tell about strange occurences, etc.

Instead of babbling, my main question is about creating a demon. Is it correct to do so?

8. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Contributor

You can certainly do that. You're writing fiction, and you can give the demon whatever characteristics you like. I think it is an interesting idea as well.

9. aimi_aiko

aimi_aiko New Member

Thank you. I appreciate all the help.

10. WriterDude

WriterDude Contributor Contributor

First of all, it sounds like a great story if you can pull it off. :)

Second, as for numberology. The number 3 is very much a magical number. (Same with 5 and 7.) Just look all around you. The most obvious is go in one... two... three. Coincidence? Nope. You've failed twice? Well, third's a charm, right? Many religions include the Three Fates. Even Christianty has the holy trinity. And how many bears did Goldilocks meet? Yep, that's right. Three. The number is all around us, and for a reason. Like 5 and 7, it's magical. (think it's a coincidence Snow White met seven dwarves, and not six or eight? And why do you think we have seven days? And for that matter, there are twelve months in a year. 12. 1 + 2 = 3. And as for 52 weeks... 5 +2? 7...)

11. R-e-n-n-a-t

R-e-n-n-a-t New Member

3 is demonic. So is 6. And 7. And 13. And any combination you care to think about.