1. robertpaine

robertpaine New Member

My messed up novel!

Discussion in 'Collaboration' started by robertpaine, Dec 30, 2008.

:confused:
    Hello everyone,

Back in February, I started to write novel titled Jigsaw.

I planned to write the Novel in three parts, and I finished Part 1 and half of Part 2 before other things in life took over.

Now I'm ready to continue working on it, but I've decided to extend Part 1, adapt it and make that alone the novel.

Unfortunately I've got no idea where I should start! I know I want to introduce a new character that everyone thinks is the baddy but is actually a goody, and my storyline is way to complicated.

I guess somebody would probably have to read it to understand what I'm talking about, but if anybody here is willing to give me some advice over where to start in editing it, or perhaps even to read it and give me some pointers, I'd be incredibly grateful!

Thanks
    Rob

2. othman

othman New Member

Well, I depending on how long your 'part 1' is I would personally advise rewriting it all except when rewriting extend it then, add more detail perhaps another side-plot that sort of things. And I would love to read your novel and give you pointers although I haven't written a novel I've read a lot and am relatively good at reviewing.

3. robertpaine

robertpaine New Member

Othman,

Part 1 is 30,000 words, so I'm not too keen on rewriting the whole thing!

If you give me your email address I can mail you the prologue to see if you're interested.

4. othman

othman New Member

othickman@gmail.com

Yes, I realise that the amount of time it'd take to rewrite it but if you speak to writers the majority have had to rewrite at least twice for however long the novel is.

5. robertpaine

robertpaine New Member

I'll think about it, but for the time being I've sent you the Prologue

6. cwpcreator

cwpcreator New Member

Um...generally you're not rewriting the entire novel man. It is called a "rewrite" but it is never really a full rewrite. That would just be stupidly time consuming.

7. othman

othman New Member

The prologue is really good it makes me really want to read it. Although you do need to edit it, as there are some words repeated in too short a time and there's a bit that doesn't 'roll' well off the tongue but aside from those minor problems it's a great enticing prologue.

8. robertpaine

robertpaine New Member

??

As it says in my first post, I have a lot of changes to make so in this case, it wouldn't just be your usual editing...

9. robertpaine

robertpaine New Member

Thanks for taking time to read it. I think I'll approach it like this:

1. First I'll adapt the synopsis to suit what I'm looking for

2. I'll rejig the chapter plan

3. I'll write all the new bits slot them in

4. Read through for fluency and holes and generally dropping in clues and hints and such

5. Then I'll leave it to sit and then edit it!

Thanks for your help! My mind is a bit clearer now!

10. othman

othman New Member

no problem and if you ever want someone to read through the entire novel I'll always be happy to do so.

11. robertpaine

robertpaine New Member

I've emailed you the whole thing!
    Thanks!

12. TwinPanther13

TwinPanther13 New Member

I recently finished a 17k word novella for a contest that I felt I cut short simply to fit within guidelines.

Right now I see a way to add so much more depth that will require a huge rewrite, probably the whole thing.

I say this because reading this because to quotes come to mind.

"anything worth doing is worth doing right"

"The right way is not always the fastest way."

If you want to get published and you really want to do your story justice take your time to fix your story all the way.

I would not mind reading it either.

13. AzricanRepublic

AzricanRepublic New Member

The same thing happens to me, I suggest consolidating your ideas completely before moving onward. Seeing as how you're planning to make the first part into a full novel, you may want to think more about how the following parts can form a sequel or following literature, perhaps?

14. robertpaine

robertpaine New Member

Okay, Im going to read through a couple of times and make a list of what I want to add in or change, so hopefully I can get a grip around it.

And Twin Panther, if you give me your email address, I can mail you the prologue to see if you're interested.