1. mutants vs. vampires

mutants vs. vampires New Member

if i tell you, you will find me. and you aren't su

Is this...???

Discussion in 'Revision and Editing' started by mutants vs. vampires, Nov 9, 2008.

Do you guys like it when other people like your family see your writing? I hate that. That's why I sit on my carpet when I'm on my laptop. When you open my door, you automatically see what I am doing on my laptop. I hate it when they do that... Well, do you guys mind other people seeing your writing?:confused:

2. Acglaphotis

Acglaphotis New Member

Seeing from behind, for a split second before I notice their presence and alt-tab away to another thing, no, I don't mind. If they manage to read it, then yes, I do mind.

3. thirdwind

thirdwind Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

I don't like anyone reading it unless it's a finished product and I'm happy with it.

4. lipton_lover

lipton_lover New Member

I'm very picky about who reads what I write... online is were I don't mind at all. People I know who aren't my family, I don't mind sharing most of the time. Family memebers though, I never show them except for my brother.

5. mutants vs. vampires

mutants vs. vampires New Member

if i tell you, you will find me. and you aren't su
    haha...i never show my writing to anyone except for you guys and like stranger peoples.

6. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

i always tell new writers to never let any friends, family, or anyone they're sleeping with see their work... 1. they won't get honest opinions... 2. they won't get knowledgeable advice... and 3. it's the best way to lose a friend/lover and alienate your family!...

7. Scarecrow28

Scarecrow28 New Member

The only family member that I've let read my novel has been my grandpa, because he was the person who introduced my to the thriller genre and provided a lot of the inspiration for my writing so I feel like I kind of owe it to him.

8. garmar69

garmar69 Contributor Contributor

I don't mind, but it has to be a finished piece. My mom and wife both look.

I'm lucky because they don't mind hurting my feelings.:p They are both brutally honest.

9. Nilfiry

Nilfiry Senior Member

I never write when there's someone who will/can read my writing, and I hide my work even more if it's still in initial draft. Besides, they always ask what your story is about....

10. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Maybe my family is out of the ordinary. I have shown my writing to both my mother and my son, and have received some really insightful reviews. My mother is not much of a science fiction fan, but she is an avid mystery reader.

Likewise, my daughter has asked for and received critiques from me. She knows I will be honest about what I see, and not gloss over the problems.

I also have critiqued my mother's oll paintings. She is far more accomplished in that area than I am, but I can still often see problems she cannot, until I point them out.

11. luckystars

luckystars New Member

I will never forget my mom asking me to read her work when I was a teenager. I don't remember much about it now, but being a teenager, I was probably too honest and she got upset with me and still probably holds resentment for letting me read it way back when.

She still writes, but holds it a lot closer now.

Lesson: don't let your teenager read your work unless you're ready to take real honesty from someone who may not know what they're talking about :)

12. tehuti88

tehuti88 New Member

I want other people to see my writing. That's what I write it for! I wish MORE people would see it, it's not like I'm hiding it anywhere. :(

That being said, that no longer includes my family. I used to want them to read it, but they've shown no interest whatsoever, so by now I'd be ashamed of them reading it. Not to mention the fact that I write adult stuff that they don't even know about.

I'm the same way with anyone from real life reading my work. I'm just so used to them not being interested all my life that I wouldn't want to bore them. People online, I'm perfectly fine with them reading my stuff (unless it's people from real life, going online, which fortunately(?) for this area is very rare).

13. Chelly

Chelly New Member

I would NEVER show my family anything I write. It's like I'm the adopted child in a wolf pack. When they're home I run in my room and hide. LOL!

14. Rem Nightfall

Rem Nightfall Banned

When I was a teenager I tried getting my parents active in my writing so I would tell them my ideas for stories. They laughed at me and my ideas always saying that I was a dork or a nut, so I have never showed my family or shared any ideas with them ever again. I am making a publishing company with a group of my friends, I am also published through them[wonder how long that will last], but its such a small publishing...only published in a local area basically around the neighborhood and some local small business bookstores. So I have to show my friends my stuff now and then. But at least my friends don't laugh at me and they tell me when I dish out ideas go for it. My friend's wife, who is my friend, is a writer as well and she is always willing to give me honest and brutal advice. So I feel comfortable showing them my stuff.

15. Samilynn

Samilynn New Member

I don't really like to show my family my writing. I'm not sure why... I think because i'm kind of afraid my sister who i look up to thinks that it's weird to write. But now that i think about it, i don't think she thinks it's very weird at all... And i don't like my parents to see it because i'm not sure what my dad would say. It might be okay to show my mom... My other sister doesn't like to read, so there's no point there... Also, i like to have my work finished before i show people.

16. Speedy

Speedy Contributor Contributor

Well im always writing my stuff when the misses comes home (outside with the afternoon glow) and bgugger me if im going to move anywhere else. So after s a while she asked what i was doing, my answers became more obvious after a while. I ended up letting her read it, BUT because shes my misses i somewhat ignore the words she says after it. Something like its intriguing etc etc. I do use her to help me with SPAG though. She's a solisitor and did i major in Engliush litreture so she comes in handy. But other than that i cant stand her contant barrage of "oh its good". blah blah blah. If anything id love to give my writing to my step daughter and watch as she gets half way through the first paragrapgh before getting distracted and bored before running to myspace!

I did give a few pages to my mother once, and asked did you read it, and her response was yes i did. That was the whole conversation ;)

Other than editing SPAG (and helping sentence structure while im around) with my GF, nobody else from my family/friends reads it.

17. Little Miss Edi

Little Miss Edi New Member

My novels are a closely guarded secret. I don't even talk about them with my OH (Although he knows that they exist) and especially not my family. None of my friends know I'm even writing one. I write a little at work in snippets of stolen time so now and then someone will catch a glimpse over my shoulder but people here are so fixated on themselves they probably don't even register what they're seeing.

I have to get myself into a really receptive frame of mind when I put things out there, so it takes me a while to mentally prepare. I like criticism and I love honesty and I'd never want anything else, but I have to prepare not to defend myself - tis business, not personal. :p

That middle bit is mostly a side note... I'm having a reflective morning.

18. ManicParroT

ManicParroT New Member

I'll show finished work to anyone who cares to look. The ultimate purpose is to have people read it, so being shy doesn't help.

If I were working on a longer piece, I'd certainly be willing to show unfinished chunks of it to selected people, but probably not to a wider audience.

19. eclecticism7

eclecticism7 New Member

Oh my gosh, last night, my dad told me I couldn't keep writing unless I let him read my stuff! I keep telling him that he already know enough about me, and I'd rather have a stranger know my deepest darkest thoughts--you know, someone who doesn't even have a clue what color my hair isl I've actually started letting my friends read one of my novels--the one I think is going to be most successful:) I got some really good feedback from one of them, too, and she isn't even a writer herself.
    To answer your question: Yes, I do mind--if I think it means that someone will know *too much* about me. I'm using the term "friend" very loosely here--I only have two, and *they* can't read it. Only vague aquaintances, really.

20. Chimes

Chimes New Member

I don't mind letting my family and friends read drafts of what I've written. They aren't afraid to tell me what their opinions are, especially my sister, who can be pretty harsh at times. But I fully accept their critism as well as their praises, because it is important to let someone read what your working on so that easy revisions can be made. It is with strangers and people that I don't know who I am uncomfortable with reading my things that are still on the drawing board. As long as its complete though, and been fully revised I don't mind anyone reading it.

21. Etan Isar

Etan Isar Contributor Contributor

I don't share my writing with friends and family for several reasons. First, they aren't really that knowledgeable, and I would die from how many times they would talk about how wonderful it was(when reading a first draft, no less). My English teacher gave me more than enough of that in highschool. Beyond that, they all think it's a bit weird. :( I'm insecure and easily embarrassed anyway.

22. jamagica

jamagica New Member

I don't see much of a deal with the whole thing...my family only looks if I ask them to look, and they only critique if I ask them to critique..simple as that

23. Ti Odio E Ti Amo

Ti Odio E Ti Amo New Member

Mmmm that's a no-no for me. Sometimes my mom, but she only reads for pleasure, and doesn't help when I'm trying to be literary. Plus, it's embarrassing. :redface: