1. Published on Amazon? If you have a book, e-book, or audiobook available on Amazon.com, we'll promote it on WritingForums.org for free. Simply add your book to our Member Publications section. Add your book here or read the full announcement.
    Dismiss Notice
  1. writer one

writer one Member

My past thoughts.

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by writer one, Sep 27, 2015.

My parents were alcoholics and I never understood why until years later. I blamed myself for there problems, and I now think the child I use to be brought that into his adult life. I have Add and I am high strung which tells me I brought these two handicaps with me and refused to acknowledge them as adult? I am seeking help but I am angry with myself because I hid that truth from myself for years and years. It's is said that when a person learns these things that writing therapy helps greatly, is that true?

Some folks do not want to here anything bad, so they to might be in that situation? Have I touched on Creative writing with this thread? Your thoughts please. writer one

2. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

My father was an adult child of an alcoholic. He had all the problems that went with it. For me it helped to learn what I could about the long term consequences of that childhood. It helped me understand my father better. Some people find help in a support group. This is an extremely useful organization, very thorough:

http://www.adultchildren.org/
    http://www.adultchildren.org/lit-Laundry_List

** A few grammar notes because writing is what we are also here for and you mentioned creative writing:
    Watch the homophones (not that we don't all make these typos from time to time):
    there should be their
    here should be hear​

Use to and used to is tricky. 'Used to be' is correct in your sentence. This example was helpful for me:
    Add is a word. ADD is the abbreviation.

3. writer one

writer one Member

I get their and there confused as gard en and Coast Guard. I hope my writing is understandable. Any help with it will be greatly appreciated. writer one

GingerCoffee likes this.