1. Rumac

Rumac New Member

World War 3 Setting

Discussion in 'Setting Development' started by Rumac, Sep 22, 2013.

Hi, new to these forums and I would appreciate some help in writing my story

I'm writing a sci fi/fantasy historical fic. Though the beginning of the story starts with a post modern world war 3 setting to develop my protagonist as a competent soldier. My protagonist is part of an EU spec force, (don't worry, he's nothing like most soldier type military personnel)

This is what I have so far:

North Korea researches zombies
    Zombie Outbreak in North Korea, kept concealed from the international world.
    North Korean cabinet and leaders get bitten, launch nuclear weapons at all potential enemies (Moscow, Washington, Seoul, London) before nuclear codes are lost.
    Nukes intercepted and/or land at targets
    World Coalition (NATO + Russia) invades North Korea, 50% of North Korean military already depleted due to zombies
    Large stationing of troops near Chinese border leads to border clashes and escalates to war.
    Zombie outbreaks in major cities on the planet
    Many insurgencies and rebellions in Africa and South America take advantage of major powers being too busy
    Much much much Cyberspace warfare.

Protagonist's experience includes: Fighting Zombies, Missions into North Korea to steal intel which brings into conflict with American and Russian spec forces, Assassinating hard line Chinese and American military leaders to prevent escalation of full blown war, Dealing with various insurgencies and rebels

anyone got anything? India and Brazil should definitely have large roles in a modern ww3 setting

2. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Really, you should develop your story on your own. Exercise your imagination, and it will become more limber, and your confidence will grow as well.

3. Uberwatch

Uberwatch Active Member

I know this is considered fantasy, but if you ever feel like writing your World War III scenario to be more realistic, you could do some extensive research on world politics. I've actually written a World War III event for a backstory segment and the first thing is coincidentially involves North Korea but I had to do search up a lot of stuff to make it sound real.

So zombies, mmmm. Read World War Z if you have not. You might get some inspiration from it.

4. Macaberz

Macaberz Pay it forward Contributor

If you are looking for a realistic ww3 setting sans zombies, just look at Syria. Make Turkey and the U.S. invade Syria, then have Russia and China storming in as well. From there on out, things would escalate quickly, dragging in, France, Englamd, Germany and Israel...

Oh just for safety I am not intending to derail this into a debate about Syria, just saying that that whole situation, when escalated, could provide for a realistic ww3 setting

5. Tara

Tara Senior Member

I think you have to develop your story on your own, but I have to agree with the others on one point; the zombies make it sound like you're planning to write a World War Z kind of story, which (in my opinion) is a good idea for a movie, but not such a good idea for a book.

6. Dresden260

Dresden260 Corrupt Diplomat

Sitting by a Fountain, Watching the world go by.
    The Fallout series is a good base to draw a wasteland after affect from WWIII. Make it a fear of people involved.

7. Jack Asher

Jack Asher Banned Contributor

I'm not sure why zombies in NK would cause them to nuke London, Moscow and Washington. In any case the Nukes chances of reaching the correct hemisphere as London or Washington are about the same as my being able to piss to the top of the space needle.

The DoD estimates that they might be able to get as far as guam, but because their most advanced targeting systems consist of "eyballing it", it's much more likely that they'll end up inconveniencing a large body of fish.

Also: Why in hell is NK researching zombies? Chemical warefare (as we've seen in Syria) is the one thing that will make other counties sit up and take notice. The kind of notice that is laser guided with a satellite. It seems like a transparent attempt to shoehorn zombies into the plot.

Burlbird likes this.
  8. mrieder79

mrieder79 Probably not a ground squirrel Contributor

Sounds like you have a pretty good vision. Start writing it and see what happens.

9. Burlbird

Burlbird Contributor Contributor

Dude, I'm not sure N.Korea has four transglobal intercontinental nuke-carrying missiles... But if your writing a complete parody, I think zombie Koreans are a freakin' cool concept!!!!

10. Duchess-Yukine-Suoh

Duchess-Yukine-Suoh Girl #21 Contributor

If it's in the future, anything can happen. Make it yours, though. Zombies have a tendency to be cliched, so make sure that the cliche story is not yours.

11. Uberwatch

Uberwatch Active Member

I think NK has been Red Dawn'd to death in fiction. In reality Kim Jong Un isn't going to do jack to the world.

12. Jack Asher

Jack Asher Banned Contributor

Actually (funny story) Red Dawn was originally about the Chinese. But a film where the Chinese are the bad guys would threaten international sales in countries like, say, China. So it was changed in post-production at a comparitively small cost of $<1 million.

The premise makes the movie absurd however. NK barely has the resources to keep its military fed, much less send them across the sea for a full scale invasion. Their only real ally is China, whose intrest in keeping the regime in power is predelected entirely on preventing an armed ally of the US directly against their border.

Unilateral action against NK would be swift and decisive.

13. Uberwatch

Uberwatch Active Member

Even the original film was absurd. The communist Cubans were the enemies. At the time the film was made, the Soviet Union would have been a good choice. Like you said, NK is a poor choice. I can see why they switched from the commies from being Chinese to NK's because of marketing and international relation purposes.