1. JesGuy

JesGuy New Member

My Plotting Problem

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by JesGuy, Apr 5, 2007.

I'm new to this forum. I've written a book that has a lot of issues. Its not ready for publishing yet, but I've put that one on the back burner for now.

My problem is with the 2nd book I've started, and I've gone back and found the same issue holds true with the first.

I can never decide what is more important. Description of setting or description of the main character's inner thoughts. Should there be an emphasis on one and less on the other? I dont know!

A difficult portion of the book takes place in a desert, and my issue is...there's not much to describe in the desert. I'm getting to a point where I feel I'm repeating myself. But can a story get too bogged down in the main character's inner dialogue?

Any suggestions or ideas on how to balance the two?

Does this make any sense at all? :confused:

2. HellOnEarth

HellOnEarth Banned

Why don't you give us a sample story.

Then we can work from there.

3. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

...not necessarily, unless the plot/story/characters call for it... it all depends on what you're writing and your individual 'voice'/writing style... this isn't a question that has a one-size-fits-all answer...

...i've spent much time in the desert and there's plenty to describe!...

...absolutely!... and way too many stories/books do...

...there's no magic formula... if you think you have a problem in that area, read over your work as if you were your worst enemy... if it's boring/repetitive from that pov, you're 'unbalanced'!...

4. onyxprop

onyxprop New Member

I'm one of those readers that MUST KNOW of every single thought that goes through a character's mind. It helps both sides get to know him/her/it better. Having both descriptions works best though. The character can't see everything for us, sometimes we need to be just as surprised as he is.