1. skeloboy_97

skeloboy_97 New Member

Ridiculous amount of advertising

Discussion in 'Support & Feedback' started by skeloboy_97, Sep 14, 2011.

I have a noticed, a ridiculous amount of advertising and annoying links on here, and I think I speak for Writing Forums, we want it stopped. Any suggestions on how to begin eliminating the problem?

2. A J Jaafari

A J Jaafari New Member

I can't agree more! And how is it getting around my pop-up blocker? I have changed the settings to allow none, and yet the windows keep opening!

3. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

sorry, but you do not speak for me... i'm not getting any pop-ups at all... and the only ads i see are at the top of the page, where i can ignore them easily enough...

4. evelon

evelon Active Member

Yes, I agree. I'm not getting any pop-ups either and the adverts don't bother me. And you shouldn't really perport to be speaking on behalf of people whose opinions you have not canvassed.

5. skeloboy_97

skeloboy_97 New Member

I think people misunderstood.. I meant, people creating an account, and their FIRST and only post, is an advertisement to a site.

I have reported six or seven, which have been deleted, hence the reason you may not have seen them.

Sorry for any misunderstanding.

6. evelon

evelon Active Member

That's different. I've just read one and there I do agree with you. Apart from the bit where you're speaking for everyone!

7. skeloboy_97

skeloboy_97 New Member

Ok, sorry for misunderstanding. Sorry everyone!!

8. Banzai

Banzai One-time Mod, but on the road to recovery Contributor

The most efficient way to get rid of the spam, is to report it.

As soon as either a report slides into my inbox, or I come across it on the forums, I remove it. Unless I'm either sleeping or eating, and I don't do either as a particularly large portion of the day.

9. skeloboy_97

skeloboy_97 New Member

Yes, i report it whenever i see it. I'm just trying to do my part to keep WF clean.

10. Faust

Faust Active Member

Ah yes. Le Spambots.

There are ways to prevent them, but unfortunately it's not 100% effective. Like Banzai said, should you encounter a spambot, or any rather spammy post for that matter, report it. That's why there are moderators on these sort of sites. They will ban the bot and clean up the mess. (Thank god vB has a Delete as Spam option or I'd have gone crazy years ago...)

11. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

And these are the ones who are here long enough for you to see them. There are many more you never get to see.

The mods are cleaning them as fast as we can, and have asked Daniel for more automated assistance.

12. Fullmetal Xeno

Fullmetal Xeno Protector of Literature Contributor

Yeah Daniel, Cogito and Banzai are all on it. I've only seen 3 advertisements recently, so they are taking care of it as much as they can.

13. the1

the1 Active Member

I am sure Daniel is aware but there is actually a plug in for vBulletin 4 which stops spam accounts at the registration page. If this plugin were to be implemented spam would only be a rare occurrence.

14. Lightman

Lightman Active Member

A good way to control spambot activity is to require mod approval for a user's first post. It's been implemented at a forum where I'm a moderator and hasn't really dissuaded new users.

15. skeloboy_97

skeloboy_97 New Member

Top idea!

16. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

It's hardly that simple! As soon as there is a widely-distributed spam blocker, spammers are working on new ways to circumvent it.

That would place a large burden on the mods here, given the rate at which new members join. I also don't want to restrict new users unnecessarily.

17. Manav

Manav New Member

I think the best way to deter spammers away is by not allowing links to appear in the post. Without a quick link their posts are useless because very few or nobody is going to copy-paste the address to check it out. For genuine members who want to post links, there can be a system where they ask permission from the mods, and the mods can activate the link button for a particular post. Will the mods be flooded with such request? I don't think so, because I have noticed very very few members posting links.

This can be a way of earning for the website too, create a separate forum for such advertising posts (like a shoutbox) and take minimal payment before granting permission.

18. the1

the1 Active Member

It's actually simpler than you think. Within the plug-in there is an option to enable which connects the program to the Akismet database. If spam is reported on any other site using the same plug-in then that spam post will also be registered here and cross-checked against the database.

19. shadowwalker

shadowwalker Contributor Contributor

They seem to go in spurts, just based on what I've seen in various forums. Pretty easily recognized, too. So see it, report it, ignore it, gone. It's only a couple of clicks, after all.

20. digitig

digitig Contributor Contributor

Orpington, Bromley, United Kingdom, United Kingdom
    I don't think that would have any effect, because the spambots don't check whether links have been stripped or not, they just fire the spam out. I belong to other forums that do strip links, and they get as much spam as this one. I agree that spam does seem to have been getting worse of late.