Tags:
  1. Vegard

Vegard New Member

My progress-journal

Discussion in 'Progress Journals' started by Vegard, Apr 23, 2015.

G'day, quick introduction, I'm from Norway, soon to be 21 summers old. Not really sure what language I'll be writing in. I'm currently in a planning phase, fantasy is thy genre. As of now I'm playing with a couple ideas, I want to write a bookseries, but to start it all of I've been thinking about writing a short novella just to get the feels of it. Anyways, that is still going to be some time I believe, I'm doing this as a fun hobby at the moment so I'm in no hurry.

This is what I'm currently working on:
    1# Creating a map(A map of my fantasy world, countries, cities, how long does it take to travel from here to there and all that). I'm creating it in photoshop, which I had to learn two days ago.
    2# Character-creation, current plan is to have 3 main characters, so those three are my focus. I will also have to create alot of followers/companions, friends and foes etc.
    3# I have to build a functioning and balanced magic-system, playing with some easy ideas.
    4# Introducing more races, like giants, trolls, elfs etc, not sure what kind of creatures I'll bring into my world.
    5# Plot, not just for the first book, but where do I want to end up in my last book. Thinking some kind of good vs evil, dark vs light, with a long journey to get there.

No deadlines as of yet, but I want something more solid by the end of the year.

And when all of this is set and done, I want to write a short draft, I've already written some sort of introduction of 186 words, but that was more to test it.

GingerCoffee likes this.
  2. Vegard

Vegard New Member

My map is somewhat half-finished, think I'll put in alittle work later today, I only have the 30-days trial in photoshop, meaning I dont have too long to finish up the map. :)

I have started working on the magic-system, which is harder than I thought, first of all, you'd want something unique, but it cant be unexplained. I can leave some mystery too it, but my magicman cant just put a fireball out of thin air without any explanation. I have the basics of it, I know how I want it to be, so now I just have to make the rules, set boundaries etc.

I am also shaking some ideas for my characters, looks, skills, good or bad etc. :)

3. Vegard

Vegard New Member

I've come a little further with my map, made some additions and drawn some borders. I eventually have to give the countries a name, but I need to get a feel of what country to put where. As for the first book, I probably wont be using the whole map anyways, focusing on some zones, and I'll expand as time goes. As of now I have part 1 of the world.

I've made changes to the characters, gives them some backstory and I've found out where I want them to end up by the end of the book. I want the first book to be some kind of introduction, to let the reader know the past of the protagonists, and how thing comes to be. So the first book will be divided into 3 parts, 1 part for each protagonist, and those parts will later be interconnected.

I've polished my magic system alittle, brought in some additions, and removed some things.

4. Vegard

Vegard New Member

Yee buddyyy, finished my world map today. I only have one of the two continents, but I dont know what use the second continent will have, I could either use it for lore, and something mystical, or I could send them there. It wont be in the first book anyways. I've also given my world distances.

I'm currently seeing holes in my magical system, and I cant fix it with duct-tape.

I also need good and evil powers. There needs to be a balance between these two, and it needs some background history as to why this is how it is today etc etc. This part is more just sorting out my good and bad ideas and putting them together to something that works.

5. Vegard

Vegard New Member

I've got my magic system going, I know how I want my world to be, I have my good and evil, and I've started writing. I got down 870 words today, however, its was more to get something black on white. I am quite sure I'll have to rewrite it. But I get to play alittle with where my story starts, and how it evolves.

6. Vegard

Vegard New Member

Havent been doing anything with this project the last week. All there really is to say is that I'm making some changes. I'm also trying to get make some old events and old story as a foundation.

7. Vegard

Vegard New Member

1730 words today. And 1730 words total on my story.

Wrote two small chapters, just as introductions to the world and the characters.
    I will have to rewrite it, to bring more life into the story. To explain surroundings, looks etc. I'll write the third chapter and then upgrade them before I move on.
    I guess these things come more naturally as I write more. Hopefully I become a better writer from this, rather than a worse one.

8. Vegard

Vegard New Member

820 words today, and I have a total of 2552 words now.
    My three starting chapters are finished, now comes the read through and polishing.

9. Camalamb

Camalamb New Member

It seems like you're pushing yourself for progress, which is good. In many cases it is important to give ourselves a good kick in the backside to really achieve the things we want.

It is also good that you're planning, since planning is vital to the creation of a deep and large world, specifically fantasy since it goes against many norms and therefore need more explanation. Don't be afraid to go really over the top with details, made character charts for every character, detailed explanations of every race, maps for city, religious groups and their beliefs. Really go to town on it, that's the fun of writing after all.

10. nrextakemi

nrextakemi Member

R-really? Personally, when I plan everything in too much detail, I end up feeling all tied up and that's just uncomfortable. In my experience, it's best to give yourself a <very> general outline at first, and then sorta go with it. Many things will change as you keep writing, many new ideas will come to your head. You can always work on detailed mechanisms of the setting afterwards, or even rebuild all the background history and mechanism from the scratch, if it turns out that what you have planned from the beginning doesn't actually fit the story and characters as well as you thought it would(as long, of course, as you didn't publish anything).

Also, OP. Don't count words. Seriously, don't. I know what you're trying to do, you're trying to give yourself a sense of pace. That's great, but counting words or chapters is probably the worst way to go about it. It's better to count events/scenes described, "plotpoints" reached, characters introduced, etc. For example, it's better to think "I finished writing about my character's personality" then "I wrote 1000 words about my character's personality".

11. Vegard

Vegard New Member

Yea, the writing I've done so far have mostly been forced, but I find it that even if what I write will be thrown, I still get a feel of where I want to go. Sometimes it gets my fantasy going. When it comes to details about all aspects of the world(religion, races, characters etc) I really have nothing compared to what I need. But usually when a good idea comes to mind I write it down on my phone if I'm away, or in a notebook if I'm at home.

It depends, somethings need to be planned in very specific details whilst some things only needs a general outline. Its important to know who your characters are, their good and bad, background, personality etc. Same with a map, how far is it from here to there, how long does it take to travel. Every place on the map needs a name, countrynames, citynames, castles and roads. Of course, every little road, village and lake doesnt need a name, but those of size and matter does. And in a fantasy world we're looking at quite a few of those. 'To know where you're going, you have to know where you've been' is a saying, and I think that applies here, atleast for me. There are lots and lots of details I want black on white before I start the long and dusty road of writing. But whats in between start and end only needs a general outline. I want to start here and end there, however, which road leads you there you can choose as you go.

As for the word counting, thats for me to tell the quality of what I've written. If what I've written essentialy can be broken down to, 'Jh'tar got off his horse', but I spent 2000 words explaining it, thats bad quality writing. I really like your idea of counting plotpoints reached, events/scenes, character introductions made etc. I havent thought of that. But that gives you more of a feel of where you are, compared to the quality of what you've written. (Just in case there are any misunderstandings I'll also say that, in this instance, quality only means length/context)

To say alittle about my progress so far tho, I havent gotten much further, I've been taking notes and writing down some ideas. So I have alittle more informatin to detail and get satisfied with. I'm currently doing research on medieval history. Meaning, societies, cultures, religions, clothing, names, castles, warfare etc from all over the world. Its mostly for inspiration, I know alot about medieval history from ceraint parts of the world, but a world isnt made up by two countries.