1. peachalulu

peachalulu Member Reviewer Contributor

Are short stories featuring the same characters still fashionable?

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by peachalulu, Aug 9, 2012.

I'm thinking of doing a children's book with a set of animal characters - ala Winnie the Pooh , or the Wind in the Willows.
    Just wanted to know if this is something publishers still accept.

2. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

if it's written well, why wouldn't they?

haven't you checked the children's books section of the library, or on amazon, to see what's being published?

3. peachalulu

I'll check it out. Thanks.
    I was hoping someone might've heard of a more recent anthology. But you're right , if the writings
    good , I suppose that's all that matters.

4. mammamaia

why would you want to know about a 'recent anthology' if what you're writing is a children's book?

5. peachalulu

Anthology - collection - a collection of stories. I thought it was a good term.
    Collection or short stories is probably better.

The only one I can think of that's recent is Frog and Toad together. I thought
    some parents on this site might know of a few.

But, I think I'll just stick to writing my stories and not worry so much about inspiration.
    I notice the more I try to write for a child , the more I talk down to him, the less
    I think about it , the better it sounds.

6. mammamaia

in the publishing world, 'anthology' usually refers to a collection of stories by more than one author... if they're all by the same author, then it's just considered a 'short story collection'...

and publishers aren't likely to take on a book of short stories by a new and unknown writer, since there's such a small market even for collections by famous ones... so, you'd need to have your stories published in reputable magazines first and make a name for yourself, before trying to get a collection published...

you'd be much better off writing children's picture books, or chapter books... and to do that well enough to have them be marketable, you'll have to do your homework and study the bestselling ones for the age range you're targeting, to be sure you're using appropriate vocabulary, sentence structure, et al.... i have some tips from the pros on writing for children that i'll be glad to send you, if you drop me a line...

i've written children's books for a chicago publisher, had 7 kids of my own that i bought books for even before they were born, have 19 grandkids, and i ran a free books program for nearly 6 years, with most coming for books being little ones, so i do know the various children's books/stories markets fairly well...

hugs, maia
    maia3maia@hotmail.com