1. Published on Amazon? If you have a book, e-book, or audiobook available on Amazon.com, we'll promote it on WritingForums.org for free. Simply add your book to our Member Publications section. Add your book here or read the full announcement.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  1. keithb

keithb New Member

my query letter

Discussion in 'Publishing' started by keithb, Jul 25, 2008.

Sorry, I removed my post - I didn't want to keep my story details on here for too long for plagiarization reasons.

2. Lucy E.

Lucy E. Contributing Member

Firstly, I'm assuming that this is the query part, no? For one thing, you shouldnt have a long synopsis unless it's attached. A few lines (meaning roughly three or four) to explain the story in the letter is all that's required. A long synopsis (unless attached on request) is a waste of an agent/editor's time. Also, you need a line or two about yourself. You should also end it with something such as 'If you'd like to see part of or the whole manuscript, please reply at the address/email address provided.
    I look forward to hearing from you,
    Name.'

Also, shouldn't it be 'and TAKEN away...'?

3. keithb

keithb New Member

Yeah, brevity is an issue. When I posted on another forum, my querys were much shorter but they were too vague, so I thought that meant put more in. Hm. I'll have to slice it down as much as I can without having it not make sense.