1. Medazza

Medazza New Member

My Selfie!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Medazza, Dec 29, 2015.

Ok, not a photo but an intro. I have been a lurker on here for some time, getting snippets of advice from many, many posts. The community here seems great.

I have always loved writing, was known as a kid for writing epics, far longer than homework required. Never had chance to write that book due to kids, work, family etc despite the fact that once every few months i get an idea. Well, and i guess there are many who say this and many who don't deliver, this time i want it to be different. I want to write that book!

I have always used my creativity in work - i am a lawyer and spend hours drafting complex and creative arguments - tiring my brain out! I am now 42 and whilst loving my job want that something extra. So getting that book on paper (or hardrive) is the next step.

How do you guys find time to write? Late at night and at lunch i have pulled together a chart creating my new world (I want to write sci fi set in the near future) so i have a fairly clear idea of how it looks, have some characters and both a short term plot and a longer term concept of a wider plot. I have put down some early chapters and need to get this done.

Looking forward to engaging with some of you on my journey

Paul

2. KaTrian

KaTrian A foolish little beast. Staff Supporter Contributor

Hi Paul, and welcome to the forum. :)

Working full time and writing on the side is certainly not easy. I can't say I'm myself sleeping too much during the week because I want to get writing done in the evening and sometimes find myself sitting in front of the screen at 3 am in the morning, painfully aware of having to get to work in just a few hours. But I guess that's how it goes sometimes. I'd also make use of the time when you're, say, working out or driving the car, e.g. you can plan what you're gonna be writing next. I'm lucky to be able to collaborate with my husband (we write together), so I don't have to worry about neglecting my family because of writing. :write:

Here's our New Member Quick Start to get you started. See you around!

-Kat

3. BayView

BayView Contributing Member Contributor

Assuming your pre-writing life was reasonably full, you're going to have to give something up in order to find time to write. In my case, I gave up most household chores (what a hardship, I know!) - paying someone else to look after the house and gardens gave me quite a bit of extra time. I can't say that will work for you, but if you have the money, maybe you can hire out some of your existing chores?

Alternatively--I also stopped watching TV, and that freed up at least as much time as giving up chores. And it saves me money rather than costing me money! Yay!

Good luck with it, and welcome to the forums.

4. Aster

Aster Member

I find it's not really a matter of having time, but when motivation and inspiration happen to occur at the same time.

5. Medazza

Medazza New Member

Thanks for the replies, yes I'm having to teach myself that the half hour I may spend in bed watching tv or on Twitter could be spent rattling off 500 words.

Prioritising in his modern age of media and distractions is a nightmare!

I can't give up chores (wife says I don't do enough!) and work full time so to squeeze writing in I think I need to get time early in the morning or late at night with an occasional lunch break thrown in. Not easy

6. Medazza

Medazza New Member

Well I'm still going. I'm loving this site- such great content and thoughts. I read a lot of threads but don't feel worthy to reply !

My work has got going - 17,000 words written and lots of ideas down on paper.

Time is the issue - been working so hard that when I do get time at night I'm just too tired and only end up tinkering or writing 100 words!

7. Medazza

Medazza New Member

Wow, doesn't time fly quickly?

I'm now at 22000 words but I've mentally filled in so many gaps in my idea and come up with cool strands and fleshed out the characters.

Still having the same problem of not finding sufficient time to actually write.

Not at the stage of telling family I'm doing it or it'll be mocked as a whim rather than something I really want to do

8. Medazza

Medazza New Member

37,000 words but in many ways I'm beyond that. So many scenes are set in my head and I've dozens of pages of notes.

To think at Xmas I wanted to be at 100,000 words by now. Really need real life to buzz off!

Only good tool I've discovered is that using apple pages I can type on Mac, iPad and my iPhone and it all syncs !

9. Carly Berg

Carly Berg Contributing Member Contributor

Welcome aboard, Paul.