1. Gannon

Gannon Contributor Contributor

Death House for Sale

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Gannon, May 31, 2008.

Last year a tragic story rocked my suburban town. A man murdered his wife and three children using only his bare hands and a brick. Their house where the event happened has now gone up for sale, presumably at a cut price. Could you live in a house where you knew such an event had happened, even if it was cheap?

2. Torana

Torana Contributor Contributor

hrm...that is a really tough question Gannon. The horror lover side of me says yes, because it would give me some amazing inspiration living in a house where something like this had happened, but then the rational side of me just simply says "HELL NO!"

But the thing is, we never know for sure, if someone has or hasn't died in the house in which we live in right at this very moment. Nor do we know if someone had died on the land before the home was built. For all I know there could be a burial grounds below my families house...I highly doubt it, but really, anything is possible.

I've been inside a home, where someone was murdered before. The victim was my aunt. And it left me feeling rather unsettled. So no, I highly doubt that I could by the home/land, nor even rent the home. Nothing could really make me I feel.

3. Cpn. Anon

Cpn. Anon New Member

I don't think it's uncommon for people to have died on a patch of land that someone lives on; especially if that land has/had been occupied for a long period in time. Also, i expect that in older homes, the chances that someone died in it will be greater; because of the changes in hospitalisation and all that.

The chances that someone was murdered is something different altogether though. I don't think people mind as much when someone naturally passes away in a house, but when something grotesque or unusual happens, people create a link between the event and the place where it happened.

4. Gone Wishing

Gone Wishing New Member

Not at all.

I think that at best, I would be able to walk past the house, peering curiously and briefly, then walk on admonishing myself for that curiosity!

5. Crazy Ivan

Crazy Ivan New Member

I don't see why it would be bad to live in that house. So someone died there. Sad and unfortunate, of course. But why should it stop you from living there?

6. Domoviye

Domoviye New Member

Proud Canadian. Currently teaching in Nanjing, Chi
    I live in Nanjing, China. Practically any building over 70 years old has had a violent murder, torture, and/or rape in it, or beside it.
    It may be creepy, but if I needed a place to live I'd take it. Any ghosts that want to haunt me can make me a rich person. First I'd as ask for donations to prove ghosts exists and put the videos and pictures I take on the internet. Then when its famous I would make a pay site and conduct tours of the house. Finally I would write a book about it, that will become a movie, and let me leave the house forever, as a millionaire.

7. schrei

schrei New Member

I would so live there. I don't see why not.

8. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

Why can I see this story appearing in a Stephen King novel some time soon.

"Near to a store near you! Stephen King's; 'Death House.'"

9. LibbyAnn

LibbyAnn New Member

I don't think I could...I would be very freaked out, to be completely honest!

10. ValianceInEnd

ValianceInEnd Active Member

I would definitely live in a house if it was cutback on price! I don't believe in ghosts or spirits so there wouldn't be anything bothersome about living there. Sure you can get caught up thinking about "what's happened here" but it would just be a waste of time.

11. ChimmyBear

ChimmyBear Writing for the love of it. Contributor

Never...under any circumstances!

That would just be too much for me to over look. Knowing that something so tradgic took place, I would never be able to feel at home there!

12. diziet

diziet Member

considering the state of the UK housing market, i'd actively seek out a house like this if it meant the price was significantly reduced.

13. Mousie

Mousie New Member

I could. I mean, if something that horrible happened to someone I'd never even met, it just wouldn't feel real. I mean, I'd know it happened, but it wouldn't have that much on an impact on me. I don't think that makes any sense, but it's hard to describe...

14. lordofhats

lordofhats New Member

That's a tough call. I'm sure there is probably nothing wrong with the house itself, but you know its just kind of creepy :(.

I'd probably say no.

15. Kit

Kit Contributor Contributor

People are bad, not houses. Aside from a bit of negative energy then I could see nothing wrong with actually living there.

If nobody told you about the murder, would you even know the difference?

16. lessa

lessa New Member

Here in Ontario we had a mass murdering couple.
    they would kidnap teen girls take them home and make them sex slaves
    and then kill them.
    They were finally caught and the husband went to jail but the wife did a plea
    bargain and is now out of jail.
    The house they lived in was bulldozed to the ground and the lot was sold.
    But the house was not allowed to be sold intact.
    In this case it was a good decision.

17. ChimmyBear

ChimmyBear Writing for the love of it. Contributor

You know in Jacksonville, just up the street from where my momma used to live, a guy murdered his girlfriend and buried her outside, beside the house. That was 4 years ago. When you drive by there now...you can still see the impression of the hole where they uncovered her remains..and that house is still sitting empty. Nobody will buy it.

18. diziet

diziet Member

okay, i definitely wouldn't buy that one.

makes my skin crawl :(