Tags:
  1. MJLowson

MJLowson Member

My story is being partly mirrored in real life

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by MJLowson, Jul 10, 2011.

Hi all,

this might sound strange but I'd love advice if possible

The current project I'm writing on has one of my characters becoming ill , but recently a friend of mine has been diagnosed with the same illness. I know its only mere coincidence because only a couple of people know about the plotline - my friend isn't one of these.

Part of me wonders whether I should stop this project, as I'm worried that people will think that I've used my friend's illness as a story idea. Like I said, I know its only a mere coincidence but its bugging me when I set down to write more.

Could anyone help?

MJLowson

2. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

I see no problem with making use of what your friend is going through. In fact, you might tell him or her about the project you had already begun, and ask if he or she wishes to discuss the experience with you. Obviously, you would acknowledge your friend's contribution if it ever gets published.

3. Azhigher

Azhigher Senior Member

Have you SEEN "Stranger than Fiction"??

You better write it into the story that they get cured!

Fer Rls

4. MJLowson

MJLowson Member

Thanks for the responses guys :)

5. Kaynic

Kaynic Member

I wouldn't worry about other people, but I would discuss it with your friend, honestly, if she/he wishes to. It would certainly lend authenticity to your work.

6. cybrxkhan

cybrxkhan Contributing Member

I consciously take parts of my real life all the time and put them in my stories. Of course, however, one thing to remember is that in doing so, you must adapt those events to and make them unique for the characters of your own story, instead of slapping them carelessly into the story. These kinds of things, in my opinion, helps give you a better feel for what your characters might be going through - because, after all, you yourself or something you know is or already went through it, so you already have a good perspective down. Again, just remember not to make it mirror real life too closely - this isn't your autobiography, after all - but it isn't a big issue, I think, to take inspiration from and even mimic real life.

1 person likes this.
  7. Gigi_GNR

Gigi_GNR Guys, come on. WAFFLE-O. Contributor

I would discuss it with your friend as well. And your friend may even be able to lend you insight into what you're writing about.

8. Ellipse

Ellipse Contributing Member Contributor

I agree with Cogito. There is nothing wrong with it. After all, people find inspiration for things in life everywhere. :)

9. Mallory

Mallory Mallegory. Contributor

This is really good advice. Use the hardship, and gain inspiration from it, but make sure it's tailored to best fit the story. Don't feel like everything has to be forced to fit the real-life situation.