1. DeathandGrim

DeathandGrim Contributing Member

My style of writing

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by DeathandGrim, Mar 9, 2013.

I feel as though my writing style has some sort of I don't know lull about it. Often I usually use lack of detail and encryption to help the reader bring scenes to life in their imagination unless its first person then I pull the reader through every thought and often ask the questions that they want to know themselves in order to provoke the thoughts.

I feel it kind of strange that I shoot for the most "realistic" response despite the fact that I generally write in dark fantasy. I steer clear of overarching rainbows over a sunset in favor of the grass flowing with the breeze if you get my drift. And I don't know I kind of feel that I'm cheating some people out of an experience here.

2. mbinks89

mbinks89 Active Member

Well posting a sample would be the best way for people to critique and tell you what they think. But to write well, you need confidence. It doesn't guarantee good writing, but without it, your writing will almost always be shoddy. Write what comes naturally. Don't worry about your style. It'll emerge by itself via repetition and what you read.

3. DeathandGrim

DeathandGrim Contributing Member

I'm pretty sure posting something here up for critique would have Cogito show up faster than I type

But a small sample probably couldn't hurt

4. thirdwind

thirdwind Contributing Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

Based on what you've written, I don't feel like I'm missing anything or that I'm being cheated. I don't see anything wrong with your style of writing.

5. creative_nothings

creative_nothings Member

Sounds pretty good to me. Some sentences seemed a little long and over the top but I definitely don't feel cheated.

6. Mot

Mot Member

The main thing I'd say is don't infodump. The reader can guess from what you've written that Veronica is an ex and Anna is MC's daughter. Sentence structure in the second paragraph is a bit clumsy too (four clauses beginning with 'it's easier' is lazy).

Otherwise, I don't feel particularly cheated by the lack of rainbows and your writing isn't terrible. Some people write with an abundance of detail and it comes out poetic (my best example would be Oscar Wilde's The Picture of Dorian Gray), while others have a minimal style that reads almost like a script. Your personal style will emerge with time, don't worry about it too much.

7. jazzabel

jazzabel Contributing Member Contributor

It's good and actually quite insightful in terms of who the character is. It's very relatable :)

8. Teodor Pravický

Teodor Pravický Senior Member

Well, you could put at least one sunny rainbow there

9. Dante Dases

Dante Dases Contributing Member Contributor

Guys, you all know the rules about the Writing Workshop. If you want to critique and be critiqued, use that.

10. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Your writing style is your personal voice. You will develop it as you get past the technical issues.
    For now, just concentrate on telling a story well. The rest will develop on its own.