1. Vayda

Vayda New Member

Two scene ideas, no idea which to use

Discussion in 'Revision and Editing' started by Vayda, Mar 25, 2009.

Hello everyone,

I'm not 100% sure where to post this, because it's less about reviewing in general and more specific to this site, but anyway this seems like the best fit.

In the story I'm working on, I currently have two ideas for the same scene. One's fully written, one's outlined. The end of the scene is the same, but the means to getting there is different.

Is there an appropriate way I can post both scenes and asks which works better?

Obviously it will be out of context, which will make it harder. They're written in pretty different styles, both of which are appropriate to the overall work - one breaks down and focuses individually on each of the characters, separating them, and the other focuses on the group as a whole, keeping them together. I'm really not sure which route to take.

And building on my last question, assuming I can post both scenes and ask which is better, would you all be willing to offer that sort of critique? As far as reviewing around here goes, I know that's a rather unorthodox thing to do...

2. Unsavory

Unsavory Active Member

It's a different approach certainly, but if that's what you need help with I don't really see a problem with posting it. In reality, it may turn out very difficult to compare the two pieces given that one is just an outline, but without seeing it's hard to tell, and I would be willing to try.

3. Vayda

Vayda New Member

Well, I'd write the other scene out before posting :)

4. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

It has been done before. I'm not sure how valuable it has been for the writers, though. If one choice gets a better response than the other, was it a better choice for the story, or was it just written better?

I'd suggest paying more attention to the specific critique comments than on anyone's stated preference. That way whichever scene you decide to use will bete best you can make it.