1. ● HEY! HEY! LISTEN! ●

● HEY! HEY! LISTEN! ● Member

My text file bugged!

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by ● HEY! HEY! LISTEN! ●, May 18, 2012.

deleted

2. Allan Paas

Allan Paas Contributing Member

Bad sectors can literally render your hard-drive unusable. Got experience with that, 750GB drive just a chunk of metal and plastic. If the sectors are not "fixed" (cannot really fix them, the damage itself is permanent) it can go fast. In my case even that didn't help.

3. WriterDude

WriterDude Contributing Member Contributor

This is why you should always take frequent backups. Not just another copy on the harddrive, but somewhere outside the computer. The internet is a great place to save it, although I know many people are skeptic to it's safety. A CD is also a nice place, though unless you use a CD-RW, you can't delete anything again. You can, however, keep adding to a CD-ROM as often as you want until it's full. (the 'computer geek' in my last work place insisted that once you've written to it once, you couldn't do it again. I proved him wrong.) ;)

4. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Yes, invest in a terabyte USB drive. They're about a hundred USD, and can be used for full PC backups on a regular basis.

If you have a home network, consider backing up to another PC on your network. You can also get reasonably priced network storage drives, including wireless, that are perfect for scheduled automatic backups.

Pen drives are a possibility too, and better than nothing, but they are easy to lose or break.

5. koal4e

koal4e Member

Zdrave :)

Its the worst feeling when you lose work, but this is where a simply flash USB drive would help so you can back up a copy on there at all times. I have a simple 8GB one that I am using solely for my new novel so I dont lose any work.

Im sorry I cant give more info than that but there we are.

Good to meet you, my wife is from Plovdiv and we go Bulgaria to visit family two or three times a year :)

6. Mckk

Mckk Moderator Staff Supporter Contributor

Oh dear that sucks. Have you checked you temporary files? Word should be automatically making back-ups for you regularly, and these exist in the form of temp files. Since you'd "shut down" by the on/off button on your PC, I don't know if the temp files would still be there. (are you sure you "shut down" and didn't simply "hibernate" or even "stand-by" it?)

Learn your lesson and always make back-ups before shutting your computer.

I don't use a USB - you can lose a USB, a USB could get corrupted, break, get a virus on it.

I just email myself a copy as an attachment every time I make changes :) This way, it doesn't matter if my laptop breaks, if my house burns down (ok that would matter but not the point) - I'll be able to access it anywhere I want, on any computer.

Alternatively try Drop Box. Or uploading it to FTP. It's similar to me sending myself a copy via email but more sophisticated lol.

7. Gonissa

Gonissa Contributing Member

Don't feel too bad, man. You can totally rewrite what you lost. I once had to rewrite a blog I really liked, but it ended up being better than it was originally. Your creativity doesn't disappear with the file.

8. ● HEY! HEY! LISTEN! ●

deleted

9. koal4e

koal4e Member

Hi,

Im English and from Leicester in the UK, I met my wife in Plovdiv back in 2004 and we have been together ever since. I have learnt Bulgarian and whilst Im not perfect and fluent I know enough to get by :) Im called Koal4e as my wife says I have a little nose like a baby koala lol

10. ● HEY! HEY! LISTEN! ●

deleted

11. Kaymindless

Kaymindless Contributing Member

USB/thumb drives... way to easy to loose. I've torn my whole house (twice) up looking for a single one where I somehow managed to back up a story only to it and not my other methods. It is hard describing the utter panic that can cause me to search every inch of a house... I really have no idea where I found it at, just that I found it.

Back up to dropbox, google docs, three hard drives, and email (and that blasted thumb drive if I can find it again.)

Though, you're using word? If it didn't save correctly, if you're using an up-to-date version... it's not giving you a restore option on the left hand side?

12. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Too many backups can also become a minor nightmare to keep track of where the most current (and next to most recent) verion is.

13. Kaymindless

Kaymindless Contributing Member

Hence the thumb drive panic.

But it works for me most of the time since I seem to be an electronic destroyer. If it can break, I'm going to break it.

14. Skodt

Skodt Member

I use my email to back up my work. Also a thumbdrive and a second computer. I therofore have my work in three places.

15. ● HEY! HEY! LISTEN! ●

deleted