1. WingedPen

WingedPen New Member

My time has come! *Cue Ave Satani*

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by WingedPen, Jun 2, 2009.

Hello, my unfort - I mean fortunate vict - I mean members, I am thy new prince of darkness, sent down here to wreak terror and cause unfathomable corruption across your forum. (Cue Joker-esque laughter) I am looking for fellow min - I mean writers to help me take over the (umm...) writing world. (Yeah, that's it) If you join the dark side now, there will be triple fudge chocolate chip cookies. And devil's chocolate cake. And deep dish pizza.

Wait, wait, what? Get out of my head, Lucifer! *Ave Satani ends*

"Estuans interius ira vehementi..."

Not you too, Sephiroth! Go torment Cloud or something!

*After One Winged Angel stops playing, this new member looks around cautiously, barely stopping the demon from The Exorcist from spinning his head around 360 degrees and shooting the radio after it starts playing the Psycho theme. After a few minutes of peace and quiet - except for the screams of agony from Chuckie as he burns behind this new member - he turns towards the rest of the forum, barely suppressing a maniacal grin...*

Seriously, hello everyone! :-D I am WingedPen (yes, I must've been high :p ), psycho - I mean insane - I mean slightly crazy aspiring writer. I found this place while looking for writing groups, and from even my casual search, I thought this was a very interesting place, so I signed up, hoping to come up with elaborate plans for taking over the - I mean, having fun and learning from everyone here.

I like all types of genres and literary forms, but I really like writing about current events in a fictional form, and I'm also passionate about using science in all it's different forms, along with history. I've been suffering from really bad writer's block lately, and just got a brilliant idea for a story, which inspired me to look around and join this forum.

Oh, if someone can enlighten me on the exact rules for posting novels, I would be grateful. :)

Disclaimer: Emotion program madness.exe may or may not come with cerebral program genius.exe. If you have any questions, dial 6-6-6 for more information.

Seriously, this seems like a very interesting place, and I know we can have fun and learn from each other.

Now who wants to join the dark side? (remember, triple fudge chocolate chip cookies!)

2. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Hello Winged Pen, Welcome to the Writing Forums.

We "strongly discourage" posting complete novels here. This isn't a place to publish writing for free. Posting work in the Review Room is for critiquing only. But before you can get critique, you must first give critique. This is not just a quid pro quo, it is because improving your critiquing skills is the primary focus of the Review Room workshop.

Posting your own work should not be among the very first things you do here in any case. It is worth taking the time to see what other people have done to improve their writing, and see if some of it applies to your writing as well. That is part of why we require members to review other members' work before posting their own for review. On the other hand, there are no restrictions, other than content and copyright rules, on showcasing your work in your member blog.

If you haven't explored the site yet, you should probably do so soon. Newcomers often gravitate to the Lounge, the Word Games, or the Review Room, but there is much more to be discovered if you poke in the corners. Remember to check out our FAQ as well, and be sure to read through the forum rules, too, to avoid any misunderstandings or hurt feelings. Respect for one another is our principal mandate.

As for the Review Room, new joiners often wonder why we do things a bit differently on this site than on other writing sites. We emphasize constructive critique as a vital writing skill. Training your eye by reviewing other people's work helps you improve your own writing even before you present it for others to see. Therefore, we ask members to review other people's writing before posting work of their own. The Review Room forums on this site, therefore, are true workshops, not just a bulletin board for displaying your work (and on that note, please only post each item for review in one Review Room forum). Also, please use the same thread for all revisions and additional excerpts from the same piece of writing. See this post, Why Write Reviews Before Posting My Work? for more information.

And while you're looking around, don't forget to check out our Weekly Short Story Contest and Weekly Poetry Contest. They actually run more than one week apiece, but any member may enter, and all members are urged to vote for their favorites.

Enjoy your stay here, and have fun!

3. TheHedgehog

TheHedgehog Contributor Contributor

Good luck, man. You know how many of those we've got around here?

You're intro scared me pretty thoroughly, so I'll just keep it simple and short: I'm Hedge, or Greg, make up your mind. Don't screw yourself up or make yourself look like an idiot.

Hey! I'm Hedge, or Greg. That previous welcome was far too cynical, so enjoy your stay and your path to literary enlightenment.

We should get together for Coca-Cola and Cheezits sometime. :)