1. Fullmetal Xeno

Fullmetal Xeno Protector of Literature Contributor

My writing has gotten stale...

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by Fullmetal Xeno, Aug 9, 2011.

I haven't really gotten the chance to write alot lately when it comes to the writing everyday routine. I just got back my computer a week ago, so i just now started to get back into the habit. Before, i had another computer, but it was my sister's so i was heavily limited on what i could do. I kept it simple during that time, so i really couldn't write. Now that i came back to that schedule, im having a very hard time. For a prime example, i posted two improv stories from the routine, and they both seem to fall flat. Ive gotten great criticism, but what they point out i see that my writing has been bogged down to a level i wish i didn't hit. Now im kinda afraid to write Blue Phoenix or Terra because im afraid they will be as stale as my previous stories. I wrote backgrounds for certain things, and im currently writing 2 short stories based off my fantasy world, but i haven't posted them on here to know if they are just as bad. Im going to continue to write every day, but now i feel like my writing is terrible now. I don't think any of my recent entries have been up to par to my TAKS story, which got a 4 (Highest and best you can get) but i didn't expect that either. Now i feel like i can do it, but it's going to be a heck of a road. Other people tell me im a great writer, then some other people say im great but need alot of work. Im starting to get confused if im worth a damn or not. Im starting too feel like if i was halfway done with any of my novels, they should be on the B novel shelve. Im sorry if i lack confidence in my work, i just don't think im at the level compared to everybody else. I know earlier i was speeding through with posts on questions and felt like i was gonna get something done after procrastinating, but now i think my writing when it comes to every day, it's falling apart. After all the reception, maybe i should wait before i even come to writing a novel? My goal was to write lots of books and being cited as a 14 year old writer who got praise for even bothering with writing so many novels. But i guess i still have alot of work ahead of me. I didn't expect perfect results, just ones where they aren't terribly lacking. I feel like everything i write is stale,wooden, and frail. My stories sounds like those crappy B movie plots. If you knew how this felt like, please tell me if i should contusion or not. I ask too many questions as it is, i knew the certain basics of writing, but im always in-confident in my work, and sometimes i need other people's opinions/answers for me to go any farther. Im going too keep trying, but i don't know if im going to get much better....

2. VM80

VM80 Contributing Member Contributor

This could become a vicious circle, as you won't get better if you don't write... and you need to have some confidence in yourself to go and do that.

I kinda know how it feels because I used to lack in confidence at times, and not just when it came to writing.

But if you want to write, you will find a way. :)

3. Yoshiko

Yoshiko Contributing Member Contributor

This might sound a cruel way to start off a post, but your comment of, "My goal was to write lots of books and being cited as a 14 year old writer who got praise for even bothering with writing so many novels" instantly amused me. This isn't anything new or unique: many teenagers have attempted, and currently attempt, the exact same thing as you - including me. It's nothing special. But it's so much better to see someone doing this than partying and getting hammered every weekend (which I now do - but I'm of age so it's okay :rolleyes:) so kudos. On this note, I feel the need to point out that you should not aim for quantity. In the long-term it is quality that is going to get you somewhere. Write a lot, but make sure what you're writing is relevant to the story. Write what you want and not what a reader wants to see - especially as you're at an age where what you're writing now is most likely not going to make it to the shelf so have fun with it. However, what you're doing now is going to help you in getting to that point. If you want to improve and become as good as (and surpass) the people you're comparing yourself against then you have to keep writing. No one improves without effort and if you want to become an amazing writer then you need to keep going.

If someone tells you that your writing "need a lot of work" then that doesn't mean it isn't worth anything. Don't expect to be told you're great and don't be disappointed when your writing is criticised - you are inexperienced. You do need to work harder and only through criticism will you improve. Everyone's writing needs work and there will never be a point where an individual will achieve perfection. However, we can try as hard as we can to reach that point. The more you practice the better you will become. I know it's difficult, but try not to compare yourself to others - you may find you're comparing yourself to people with decades of experience under their belt so, naturally, they are going to be stronger writers. I've no doubts that these people have had (and may still have) the same insecurities about their writing as you do now.

At fourteen it's safe to say you have a lot of potential. At age fourteen I had just decided that I wanted to take writing seriously and my work was dreadful - and now I'm publishing work while still in college. Anyone can improve with enough determination so go for it!

Good luck! :)

4. flipflop

flipflop Senior Member

dont be down. Your writing will get better just remember that its your editing skills that will finish the job. So write it now and leave the editing to later when your ready.

5. shadowwalker

shadowwalker Contributing Member Contributor

Writing is like learning any craft - sometimes you hit it right on, sometimes... not so much. You should've seen my first birdhouse! But definitely keep writing, keep practicing. Even if it's only a short, one-page vignette. Look out the window and write about what you see. Take a walk and write about the people you meet along the way, or an interesting house. Browse the newspaper and turn a news item into a fictional account. Anything to get something 'on paper' and build your confidence back up.

Oh, and if you should find yourself without a computer in the future - buy a notebook and pen!

6. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Staff Supporter Contributor

You're fourteen, and you're down on yourself because you're not writing at a pro level yet. What fourteen-year-old football player thinks he's ready for the NFL? You're doing fine, and the more you work on your writing, the better you're going to get.

You're waaaaay young. And very inexperienced. Yet you sound like you're thinking of giving up. You're just starting; this is no time to give up! This is the time to be REVVING up! Put your head down, stop comparing yourself against the pros, and just work on getting better. You'll still be young five years from now, you know, but if you work hard at your craft, you'll be an excellent nineteen-year-old writer and you'll be teaching all the other kids the ropes.

7. airhoff02

airhoff02 New Member

Don't give up. You're making an effort to get better, and over time you will. I'm sure you've heard this phrase before, but "the more you put into it the more you'll get back." It really is true.

Also, you're in a perfect position now because you're so young. Many individuals don't figure out that one 'thing' that they are passionate about until they're too far along in their lives to do much about it. This is the time to discover those things.

8. skeloboy_97

skeloboy_97 Senior Member

just keep trying it will most likely come back :) good luck.

9. The_NeverPen

The_NeverPen Member

This isn't a bad idea. Don't force a novel just for the sake of having a novel out. And don't look at writing for prestige, write because you like to write.

In general, just don't stress yourself. You'll write just fine if you practice.

Kill this fantasy, please. The whole wunderkind phenomenon is tragic. Your book won't be any better for publishing at 14 than it would be for publishing at 30 or 45. Take advantage of your youth and hone your craft - better to be published at 18 for being good than published at 14 for being a kid.

You're an imaginative fellow, just keep learning and you'll do fine. No one is born to write well, we all practice.