1. themotions

themotions Member

my writing style?!

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by themotions, Apr 13, 2009.

So this is a problem I have dealt with for a while,
    My style of writing isn't really here nor there. It doesn't fall under any categories; it doesn't flow like poetry or have a well outlined plot that makes it a short story. It's not a free flow of thought either, it has emotion and a point and usually a pretty neat concept behind it, but just nothing to do with anything and no defined purpose or category to fall under. How do I learn to structure my writer or accept it for what it is? Do I need to conform to classic poetry or does it have a place in literature that I am jsut unaware of. If I ever write a book I think it would be neat to have it written in connected but seperate pieces written in my style, but other than that I am just lost as to how to make my writing something

2. Addicted2aa

Addicted2aa Senior Member

I'm not sure what you mean by your writing not falling into a category. It sounds like you write essays, which are a style into themselves. Perhaps not though. If you've completed your reviews and have something posted I would love to read it to get a sense of what you mean. More importantly though, why should you make you're writing something?

This is something I've had trouble dealing with. Authors who want their work to do something. Poems with meaning. Plays that are trying to change the world. Stories that are written as responses to previous literary movements. Write whatever you feel like writing, don't try to make it do something. Don't try to make it fit anything. Just write.

3. architectus

architectus Banned

Addicted what if writing about those things is what gives the writer joy?

A lot of my short stories I write to make a point. It's what I enjoy doing. It is exciting to think of a cool story that at the same time teaches something. Or asks a taboo or important question. Gets the reader thinking about something,.

4. marina

marina Contributing Member Contributor

Architectus: I think you just made Addicted's point, though. You think of a cool story to tell, and you tell it, as opposed to trying to force a cool story out of yourself, struggling to come up with one. I'm not saying that this is what the OP's dilemma is, though.

themotions: Are you saying your writing doesn't fit a particular genre? Or are you saying you write in sort of a stream-of-consciousness mode that's neither story or poetry in terms of structure?

5. Addicted2aa

Addicted2aa Senior Member

A story can't make a point in my opinion. It can have a theme, but it can't make an argument. No matter what the story is about, issues will be raised. If the reader wants to look deeper they can. If they don't, they won't have too. If you want to make a point write an essay. If you want to change the world write a manifesto. If you want to tell a story, than write one. If you want to explore the creativity of language, write a poem. If you just want to write and don't have any goal, than do it. Certain styles have certain purposes and it just doesn't make sense to try to do something else in those styles. It won't achieve the goal effectively and it will most likely ruin the piece.

6. thegearheart

thegearheart Member

Oh, man. But I love The Fountainhead, and that's basically a manifesto.

themotions, I would just write whatever you want to write. Look at Danielewski. Your writing style couldn't be any stranger than his.

7. lynneandlynn

lynneandlynn Contributing Member

I disagree. If a novel is *really* well-written, it will change you emotionally through its theme. Therefore it's made a point because it affected you on an emotional level enough to change in one way or another. That's what really *great* literature does.

~Lynn

8. Aeroflot

Aeroflot Senior Member

Orhan Pamuk, one of the author's I'm focusing on right now, combined the tone found in Sufi texts with his 'natural' writing style to create his own very unique signature style.

I think style can be how you write right now, or it can be fabricated through paying close attention to how you're writing. Style is composed of many factors, including your tone, choice of words, etc; and if you work enough at it, you can create a new style of your own. It would be the same as getting into the head of one of your characters and writing as you'd think the character would speak. Like, if you are from the south and you want your writing to sound like a New Yorker wrote it, then pretend you are a made up character from New York and you're writing as that character.

Well, that's one way you can change your style.

I'm pretty sure some authors who write for magazines have to change their style to fit the norm of the magazine. Can't have polar opposites, otherwise the magazine would be all over the place.

9. Agreen

Agreen Faceless Man Contributor

The Plague by Camus has a clear point. It is one of the best novels ever written.