1. blaketallos

blaketallos New Member

Work experience in this field.

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by blaketallos, Feb 3, 2010.

Hi, i'm filling out a job application questionare and one of the questions is

"How can your past work and/or personal experience help you in this field?"
    The position is basically health care and I need to write atleast 3 or 4 sentances on why I think my experience will be good for this job.

Here is some content that I wrote -

Working as a health care dietary aid for almost a year I have had the pleasure of getting to know countless elderly and mentally disabled patients. My experience in that position gave me a whole new perspective towards life.

Do you think that sounds good? If anyone could help me out it would be greatly appreciated. Im like 2 sentances away from finishing the questionare. :)

2. Gannon

Gannon Contributor Contributor

To be truly beneficial to your application your response might best be more specific. Exactly what did you accomplish during your past experiences - what responsibilities you held, what value you added, with whom you interacted, if you received any awards / recognition, and provide some statistics if you have any. For example, "I cut waiting time by 25% by ...", "I saved the company $10k when I implemented / suggested ...", "My best practice X was rolled out to other departments."

Round it all off perhaps by saying that you're looking forward to applying your innovative solutions and enthusiasm to their challenges.

Good luck.

3. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

it's hard to give valid advice when we don't know what position you're applying for and what duties will be involved...

4. Cosmos

Cosmos New Member

It might sound really bad, but the honest to goodness truth is that when you're applying for a job the questions are almost exculsively about what you can do for them. That's why leading and vague questions like that are made to see if you can catch on and show the company what you can do for them. And companies generally discover that by seeing what you did for your previous employers.

So long story short, whatever you write or say in response should include costs you saved the company, how you introduced an effective system, etc. They're not particularly concerned on whether you're personally changed as a result of a job, though mentioning it off-hand wouldn't be inappropriate. So try to tailor it more to what a company would like to hear, so they'd be more likely to hire you.

Otherwise great work, and I wish you the best.