1. PastPresentNFuture

PastPresentNFuture New Member

Mysteries of The Past, and Future, and how the Present Relates

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by PastPresentNFuture, Aug 5, 2011.

Hey guys, I would like this to be a discussion thread for past and future events. So I guess I'll start with this question I suppose.

Has anyone noticed that as much as we know about the past, there is so much we don't know? For example, look at the city of Rome. It's one of the oldest cities in the world. It was supposedly founded almost 3000 years ago in 753 BC by Romulus and Remus. However that is only a myth, and not scientific fact. And this was only three thousand years ago, there are mysteries relating to ages far before Rome was supposedly founded.

I don't know guys. What do you think?

2. Jayyy1014

Jayyy1014 Jerrica Contributor

My honest opinion. They're some things the governments don't let us know. Cause they're not one hundred percent sure or the findings is so horrifying, they do want to let us know so we all don't go paranoid. Everything we could be being taught now in school (Imma sophomore in high school) Could just be being fed to us, to make us believe something that's not true. You never know what's the truth and what's not. As far as us walking on the moon.. I'm not so sure if I can believe it so I'm skeptical about it, but I do believe in pictures of planets from satellites. Cause that's an obvious one.

3. PastPresentNFuture

Well personally Im not knowledgable with government conspiracies, but i see what you mean.

4. PastPresentNFuture

But then again, how would contemporary governments be knowledgable about events being so far in the past?

5. Snoopingaround

Snoopingaround Banned

Much of what is taught in public schools is propaganda. It is up to each individual to make reasoned conclusions based on the evidence they learn for themselves. History as a subject area covers very, very little of what actually happened in the past. It focuses on very specific events and a very few people that happened to be noticed at the time and recorded. So obviously, many major events happened in the ancient past that we do not even know about. I suppose modern history is more reliable, but even then not all of the bases and angles are covered. So it is up to the individual to sort it all out.

In my opinion, the only really solid, reliable subjects are the hard sciences such as math, biology, chemistry, astronomy, etc. Alot of the other subjects are very speculative and prone to errors in their "facts".

6. Jayyy1014

Also a lot of what they might not know is being passed down from generation to generation.. Per say the war of 1812. Say there was a veteran from it, that passed down all the war stories to his children to their children to their children and so on. You never know everybody's family history.. so you never really know much about history in total.. Taking an educated guess.. :p I'd say the government either guesses about events like this, have stories being passed down in their own families, and also May have uncovered some artifacts that may tell us a little bit about that time period..

7. PastPresentNFuture

Well if i can respectfully disagree. The war of 1812 was a mere 200 years ago. Surely there must be quite a lot of written work about it that we still have, not just oral history.

8. Jayyy1014

I am aware of that.. I was merely using that as an example of If we didn't have technology back then. Alright maybe a better example.. Back when there were problems with the different peoples in Mesopotamia. Sorry for the not so good example of that war..

9. PastPresentNFuture

Sorry if i worded that last comment too strongly. So you mention Ancient Mesopotamia. I see what you mean. All the ancient Mesopotamian powers fell, because the land was easily accessable from what I read. I know what you mean. We're reading the documents of these ancient battles from ancient cunneiform tablets. It seems like we only have the perspective of one group of people, which makes the document subjective.

I think i truly see what you mean now.

10. Jayyy1014

Yeah, It may be biased, you may find one thing from a group of people against another group of people and vice versa. You never know what is a fact or opinion or just plain bias. Which leads me to think that history class is really useless except for the stuff that could be recorded as facts. No you didn't word that too strong. I just was trying to get my point across:) No biggie :D