1. Justin Rocket 2

Justin Rocket 2 Contributor Contributor

Young Adult books for males

Discussion in 'Research' started by Justin Rocket 2, Jun 14, 2013.

I'm trying to find bestseller Young Adult novels for boys. There seems to be a glut of female authors and female protagonists everywhere I look. Please help me get pointed in the right direction so that I can better study what's working for teen males.

2. IronPalm

IronPalm Banned

Are you talking about modern-day works, or at any time in history?

3. Lea`Brooks

Lea`Brooks Contributor Contributor

Being a female, I can't accurately point you towards novels that males like because I'm not a male. However! The Percy Jackson series is told from the perspective of Percy Jackson, who is, in fact, a male. It's a pretty phenomenal series, despite the awful movie rendition.

4. EmmaWrite

EmmaWrite Member

I Am The Messenger by Markus Zusak. Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs. Eragon and the rest of the Inheritance Series by Christopher Paolini.

5. Thomas Kitchen

Thomas Kitchen Proofreader in the Making Contributor

The CHERUB series is pretty boyish, and written by Robert Muchamore. It begins for people around the 11 year-old mark, but continues and become far more mature. I still read the newly-published ones and I'm nineteen. ;)

Also there's the Alex Rider series by Anthony Horowitz, and the Young bond by Charlie Higson. They're all pretty similar in theme (CHERUB is by far the best, however), but that's the point: almost all teenage boys want to be spies (including me, unfortunately). :p

Hope this helps you. :)

6. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

7. Michipanda

Michipanda Member

A lot of my guy friends like the sci-fi/fantasy or mystery type books. I also agree with the suggestion that typically books written from a male perspective will probably point you in the right direction. I imagined the authors had to do a lot of research to accurately depict the reaction a young/teenage boy or grown man. I personally like Leviathan by Scott Westerfield. It's a pseudo twist with historical accuracy, very well written. I wish you well on your search for information.

8. Kita

Kita New Member

Anything Warhammer related is usually intended for males and there's literally hundreds of books in both the fantasy and 40k universe written by a number of authors. I prefer the 40k universe, particularly anything involving the Space Marines or Horus Heresy.

9. Youniquee

Youniquee (◡‿◡✿) Contributor

You can try the SPUD series by John Van de Ruit. It's a YA novel and the main character is male...so yeah.

10. Pheonix

Pheonix A Singer of Space Operas and The Fourth Mod of RP Contributor

I read the Maze Runner Series, it was pretty good and has a male protagonist.

Also, the main character might be female, but I feel like the Maximum Ride series is pretty much for anyone who wants to read it. Plenty of violence and mayhem, but with pretty well developed characters. It's one of the only things James Patterson has written that I actually like...

And I would second Michipanda's suggestion of Leviathan, and the other two books in the trilogy. Awesome steampunk/alternate history books.

Oh, and the Airborne series by Kenneth Oppel. Another awesome steampunk/alternate history series with a male protagonist.