1. Ro-J

Ro-J New Member

Mythology research

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Ro-J, May 17, 2010.

Hey all

I am doing some research for the book I am writing and hope someone can help me asap.

I would like to base my storyline on actual myth or prophecy and have been searching google like a maniac for what I have in mind.

I am aiming towards a myth involving 12 chosen guardians to serve as protectors of the human race:

In the story there are two families with different advanced abilities. One group have advanced abilities like intuition etc, and the other family has the ability to transform their shape. They have been feuding for decades, but actually it is a different group that is responsible for the feud.... and they have a new leader that is the most dangerous and hateful one yet.

The abilities of these groups are passed on from generation to generation - at the death of the oldest "chosen ones" then new chosen ones are assigned to undergo training of these new abilities.

It would actually be way cool if there was actually such a myth or ancient prophecy. Does anyone out there no of one like it, or should I just make one up? I also kinda need advice on how to think up a name for this book.

Anyone?:confused:

2. Northern Phil

Northern Phil Active Member

Hi,
    Greek and Eygtian mythology tend to have a lot of gods, myths and folklore associated with them, you may want to research them first.

If you're looking for a propehcy or something similar then you could always introduce an ancient character similar to Nostrodomus.

You're best bet might be to make it all up, as long as you have enough content, history and you can write it well then it should be very believable.

3. Ro-J

Ro-J New Member

Hey Thanks! :)

As for the Greek mythology... well yikes! All it is, is a bunch of messed up family matters:

This one is Zeus's wife and sister (Hera), that one is Zeus's daughter with a mortal.... yada yada yada. And the list just goes on how they're all lovers and family members. Can you say issues? ;-p

LOL It is a good idea, and it's something to work with as there are gods for water, earth, love etc. I guess I was going along the lines of Native American mythology, but google is absolutely no help at all. Sheesh. Nobody ever said writing was easy, did they?

Any other suggestions?

4. tcol4417

tcol4417 Member

Don't depend too heavily on pre-existing material for inspiration. Old world mythology is generally seen as a Free Ideas Bucket by the terminally uncreative and there is a fine line between a tribute and a rip-off.

Using already existing names will immediately set alarm bells ringing for critics, so try to make your own wherever you can and try to avoid using any obvious kind of template. I can't think of one right now, but I'm sure you've noticed something having gone through all the stories.

I like to use mythology in my stories - christo-judaic, hindu, greek, egyptian, norse and all that - but if you read any of my stories I like to think that you wouldn't notice the similarities.

Remember that you're writing an original piece of work, not fanfiction.

5. Northern Phil

Northern Phil Active Member

To be honest I don't know to much about Greek mythology. I know a few tales about Hercules and Zeus, but even that's only because of Disney movies, a Disney movie isn't going to go to deeply into all the inbreeding stuff. :)

I would personally abandon google and go to your local library or bookstore and get books on mythology as you will instantly cut out 99.9% of all the junk on the internet. I would probably imagine you'll use mythology as a guideline or template and then make up the rest to suit your story.

6. Anonym

Anonym New Member

Aren't there 12 Zodiacs? Probably not what you're thinking, but it came to mind.

7. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

One Zodiac, twelve signs.

8. Ro-J

Ro-J New Member

Mmmmmm, not a bad idea to have it bound in some form to the zodiac. With your permission it would be cool to sort of link that idea...

Are you referring to Chinese zodiac or the regular one we know? I'm a Virgo- and a worrier- go figure! :) How would this work?

Remember, my guardians are as follows.
    -I have 4 Shifters. These are the warriors/ guardians that are the first line of defense in any attack. The zodiac signs to symbolize these must be the strongest ones, and their ability is to transform into animal shapes. (4 males.)
    - There are 4 Core guardians with abilities or powers that are the second line of defense if the enemy gets through the first. (3 females and 1 male) two can rule the elements, two elements each, one has the ability to duplicate or drain powers and change her DNA structure, and the last one can cause emotions in others when she touches them.
    - There are two shields. (one male and one female) One can protect physically and one protects mentally.
    -Then we have the healer- a female that can also sense weakness or illness in others. In other words she identifies how they will be able to be defeated.
    -And an "eye" that is highly intuitive and helps out in always being at the right place at the right time. She has an inclination into who the enemy's target is and most likely what their attack will be, and can warn accordingly...

So, in using this base, how could this be implemented with the zodiac idea?

Example Healer- virgo
    Shifters: Leo, Taurus, etc etc.

Thanx for all the help!!! :) Do you like this idea? I think it would be awesome!

9. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Both the Chinese and Greek Zodiacs are 12 signs, because a year is roughly twelve lunar cycles (months).

10. Lankin

Lankin Member

I will think in depth about that, but just spontaneously -- there are 12 signs in western mythology. I wouldn't limit myself to that.

Don't forget the various constellations that are not signs. (Signs are virgo, capricorn, etc., constellations are also, e.g., Orion, Cassiopeia)
    Have a look at the Names of the zodiacal signs in different cultures, as well as at the names of the constellations; and even the stars comprising them.
    There is a list of constellations as well as of the signs of the zodiac on Wikipedia.

Maybe the colorful names are some inspiration.
    Concerning the "two parties fighting for the wold"-thing in mythology -- there are various. The titans vs. the gods in Greek mythology, In Norsk mythology the giants vs. the gods (Always placed on the timeline before the in-breeding stuff ^^)

I was surprised, had forgotten all about it:
    (Quote from Wikipedia)
    (o.t.: Would be a good answer too if anybody asks for your zodiacal sign.)

11. Ro-J

Ro-J New Member

LOL I'm researching it on google now... So please keep those awesome ideas coming in. It seems the most difficult part will be to decide which character or sign should have what power or ability. Example: Maybe the twins should be the shields. (There is a set of twins in my book, their zodiac sigh could be gemini etc etc.)

Well now this means a lot less sleep for me because I am way too excited now!! Yay :) This forum rocks and everyone is so nice. Thanks all!

Hey that's cool too. Serpentarius could be represented by the enemy group's leader.... I could think of an ability that could suit this... Any suggestions?:)