Tags:
  1. Leena

Leena New Member

Mythology/Supernatural... ideas... anyone??

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Leena, Nov 7, 2010.

I'd love to hear some ideas on an exciting paranormal based storyline...

First off, excuse grammar/sp as I don't normally edit my posts. I've been a stay at home momma for the last 13yrs and live quite a mundane life. Although I love my son more than anything in the entire world and have enjoyed every bit of motherhood, I'm finding that I simply need more.

Until about a year ago, I had struggled with the whole "something is missing in my life." dilemma and tried many different things to release my creativity. Never stuck to anything. I woke up one day (New Years Eve actually) and POOF, there it was... and straight out of nowhere!! Suddenly, I realized what I needed to do to fill that gaping hole.

Before that day, I had NEVER in a million years even considered writing... A sign perhaps?? I started that very day because that is what my heart told me to do. Somehow this time around seems different. I'm not by any means a writing pro or a published author. I write as a hobby and now it's transformed into a passion! I'm loving the reasearch as well... keeps the ideas flowing! Even though there's a good chance that whatever I decide to complete will never really go anywhere, I've found it to be so much fun, exciting and an unbelievable stress releaser... I ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT!!!

I'm a movie buff and enjoy readings that take me to a whole new world. I tend to hover around the paranormal genre. Have you ever read a book or watched a great movie but thought to yourself "If I could rewrite this book or movie script, this storyline could be a lot more exciting!" So I ask... can we maybe play around with a bit of mythology, a paranormal romance or anything magical and unique?

I've chosen the main character to be a gifted 17yr old girl with a world saving purpose. There are guardians, witches, demons and a mother gone missing. She's eventually befriended by a small peculiar group that belongs to some secret society that helps her with her 'gift' that she's suddenly realized she's always had (runs in the family). She has reoccurring dreams of a woman. Woman informs her that there are four of them in total and not of this world, all connected to the elements somehow. A feisty Wiccan Grandmother who owns a Wiccan shop that she helps with... a couple of life long BFF's (guy & gal)... ALL MAGICALLY CONNECTED... a new found destiny and fighting evil... musssst have EVIL!!

Goodness... I know... it's been done so many times... over and over!! But I'm looking to hear of any thoughts and ideas that are UNIQUE! Sooo, any light bulbs goin off?? I realize it's pretty vague... I'm just playin around and would love to hear what ANYBODY has to throw in!! I know this may be a boring post, but in the forum world I've found that I absolutely love exploring and hearing from anyone willing to send a few sparks my way! Thought I'd take a chance and hope to hear a reply of some kind...

Thanks so very much in advance for taking the time... hope my post wasn't too painful as I'm still brand new to forums!!! ;)

2. Naiyn

Naiyn New Member

Nothing painful about your post at all. Sounds like you've got quite a few good ideas for a story. I'd say you're already on the right track-- you've got character ideas, plot ideas and all that. All you need to put it all together is, well... you!

Don't worry too much about whether it's all been done or not-- it pretty much all has been done. What makes it unique, is that no one has ever written about your characters and plots and settings etc...

3. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

A story concept means nothing. I can tell you now, it has all been done before. What matters is how you write it, the characterization, the flow, the imagery, all of it.

There's no benefit in asking what other people think of the concept! They'll either say,"Sounds great," or, "it sounds like a ripoff of..."

If the idea stirs you, write it. Then ask people what they think of the final story. After they tell you what they don't like about it, revise it, usually several times, until you're happy with it or until you throw up your hands and say the hell with it.

Please read What is Plot Creation and Development?

So don't worry about unique. Focus on building characters your readers will care about. The reader's don't have to like all the characters, but they should have some kind of opinion about them.

Then start giving your characters goals and obstacles.

4. Islander

Islander Contributor Contributor

Original ideas are less important than you'd think. Think about Harry Potter. A story about a bunch of kids who go to school to learn magic and fight evil guys - how original is that? Rowling's originality comes into play in all the little details - the quirky characters, all the strange objects and traditions at the school, and so on.

And it's very hard to come up with ideas for those things without knowing the fictional world in detail. I'd recommend you to either describe your world as engaging and detailed as you can in this thread, to get people's ideas flowing, or make friends whom you can discuss your world with in private messages.

5. Elgaisma

Elgaisma Contributor Contributor

I agree my situation was similar to your own. I started doodling last February and ended up with a YA novel by August time - I now have one more novel more or less completed in first draft form. Another a third of the way through and one I am writing for NaNo this year-

I would actually work on letting your characters tell the story get to know them. I started out writing an action adventure story for adults, told from the point of view of a dead King, very much set 2010 on earth. I ended up with a YA story told from the point of view of his son. Set on it's own planet and magic crept in lol - None of it is really unique, my idea of turning into birds came from my favourite 80s cartoon character mingled with a TV documentary on St Kilda Island. My characters however are unique the way I tell the story is my own.

My second story was supposed to be YA but my characters had too much passion now it is an adult story.

Don't expect too much from your first draft - I was so pleased when I finished my first one but by the time I finished the final edit about three scenes from it remained intact.

6. w176

w176 Contributor Contributor

Orginality is a process. First you think of all the things you seen a lot, and when you done that you begin to think about things you haven't seen a lot and would find interesting.

But all originally stem from one simple fact, you are a unique person with unique world view and experience. Let that shine trough you writing, in how you describe the characters, in what langue thats come natural for you and chose the story development that seem obvious from you viewpoint.

In the beginning you will be relying on what you used to seeing in other stories, but bit by bit you will begin to hear your own ideas and learn how to development.

You will find a unique style, but don't try to pin down what you want to find. Perhaps you unique style will show in your dialog, perhaps in your characterization, perhaps in your langue, perhaps in how you captur character relationships or in you wacky plot twists. You don't have to be that you totally redefine the urban fantasy genre, it works fine just as it is. You own unique voice might be expressed elsewhere.

Something you can do to find what take you want to take on the story is to read what other writers had written in the same genre. I would recommended Jim Butchers "Dresden files" book, Neil Gaimans "Sandman"-comics or his book "American Goods", Kelly Armstrongs "Otherland" books and "The Southern Vampire Mysteries" (which the tv series True Blood is based on" by Charlaine Harris.

7. Leena

Leena New Member

Thanks everyone from the bottom of my heart... superb advice from you all!! I look forward to your future support!!! :)