1. Charlzilla

Charlzilla New Member

N: A Good TV Idea?

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Charlzilla, Oct 20, 2011.

I'm not really sure where this fits, so I thought I'd place it here :) This is my first time posting here.

Hi there, I'm a 14 year old boy from Singapore and my dreams have always been to make it big in New York City. It has always been my dream to live in NY. However, what I want to do is more suited in Hollywood.

What I want to be, my ambition is a creator and executive producer of a hit TV series. I love watching TV( Lost, 24, Flash Forward, Fringe, Glee, The Event). I also want to be a host like my idol Phil Keoghan( and be the future host of The Amazing Race), but this question is not about that.

I have an idea which I really want people to check out. An idea for a TV Series. It will be a drama-mystery-thriller(maybe)-conspiracy… sure if I want to inc. sci-fi). It probably will have 4-6 seasons, each season spanning 20-24 episodes, each with the standard 40-45 minutes.

The idea:

A plane is en-route to New York City from Washington, D.C. The flight contains 204 passengers, including Mary, a 45- year old going to meet her biological son in New York. On a ground, three men in black activate some weapons, press a couple of buttons and controls and the plane rips itself apart, exploding in mid-air, debris falling from the sky. All passengers are reported dead. One of the three men is 30 year old Jackson.

On that very same day in Singapore, the third term of school is beginning( it's late June). (SG terms: Term 1 - Jan - early Mar, Term 2: late Mar- May, Term 3: Late Jun- August, Term 4: Mid Sept to end Oct). A boy, 13 years old(call him SG guy) begins a new day of school. But not any day, he has just transferred from his old class to another class of the same stream and level, due to person and psychological problems faced previously, like skipping school and having a nervous breakdown. He meets a teacher, K, who makes his fitting in a little less harder and the new educational consultant, Jackson, who is revealed to be the very same who made the plane explode. Jackson gives the boy a very hard time, but fortunately he can tell all this to his psychologist, Mr O who supports him on his road to recovery.

New York City- On the same day, a 15-year old boy( NY guy) prepares to start his summer vacation(I originally wanted him to start his first year of high school, but there is an obvious loophole). This was the very person that Mary was coming to meet, her biological son whom she had never met. He currently lives with his adoptive father(his adoptive mother died in a car crash), who is preparing to tell him about his real parentage.

The show name is N(not exactly sure what it stands for, though my name starts with N), follows the lives of these two youngsters and how their destinies corelate and intertwine. What they will discover and what they will execute along the way will bring them to the forefront of a century-old conspiracy that will shake the very fabric of reality. Everyone is a player in this game and somehow will all play a part in filling up this tremendous puzzle, which may not want to be solved.

In Season 1, the show will alternate. Meaning, in odd-numbered episodes(except the 2h pilot), focus will be on the SG guy and in even numbered ones, focus will be on the NY guy. This will happen until after Episode 10(the fall finale), where the two will meet.

Some revelations include, NY guy meeting his biological father and discovering many secrets about him, Jackson being a son of the NY guy's father and killing his father at the end of the season. These are just one of many.

I will strive to give answers regularly on the show, so to not leave viewers hanging for more, at the same time, opening up new questions, taking the 2 steps forward, 1 steps back approach. So what do you guys think, should I write the full script for the pilot episode and send it to someone to really take a look(not to sell it, just see it)?

This story was somewhat based on my own experiences, especially the character and human-driven parts of the story. Once I graduate from secondary school, I intend to take a Diploma in Creative Writing and after that, go to a college or university in New York City.

What do you think of the idea?

2. Jhunter

Jhunter Mmm, bacon. Contributor

I am sorry, I know it is the language barrier, but I am having a hard time understanding what this is supposed to be about.

3. Charlzilla

Charlzilla New Member

Language Barrier?

Er...I'm from Singapore, and English is Singapore's lingua franca. So...there shouldn't be a language barrier, not more than the next person.

4. Lou Plot Point Olson

Lou Plot Point Olson New Member

i'm sorry but i'm having a hard time getting past the self-insert. probably a projection. or probably more likely, none at all. but the idea is complex yes but it's a cleche (i believe that's how you spell that). the idea has been done and in yours it barrows from Heros, fringe, and other shows. again probably you didn't try to do this but rather are simply taking it from no where and the ideas are unoriginal.

5. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

aside from the problems with your concept, you should know that you can't sell an idea... and in the american tv industry, you can't submit any pilots/episode scripts/series bibles unless you already work in the industry and have connections there, or are a screenwriter with a good track record and a good agent...

so instead of wasting time coming up with new [or not so new] series concepts, if you want to write and produce for us tv, wait till you're out of school [it's best to go on to a university that has a good film/tv school], then do all you can to get an entry level job in the tv industry... meanwhile, use your time and talents to hone your screenwriting skills... if you want help with that, i mentor many aspiring screenwriters and always have time for one more mentee...

love and hugs, maia

6. Tesoro

Tesoro Contributor Contributor

Even I had a hard time figuring out what the plot is, As I got it this was kind of an televisional backstory, but what is the series going to be about? It has to be quite extensive if it's going to show for 4-6 seasons. I have to compliment you on your english.

7. digitig

digitig Contributor Contributor

Orpington, Bromley, United Kingdom, United Kingdom
    I think a lot of the problem is with your use of the space key, which is to say the least idiosyncratic, especially around parentheses. That made it very hard to read.

As for the story, I immediately thought of it as a modernised Bridge of San Luis Rey. There are no new ideas, it all comes down to how you write it, and as others have suggested your best bet is to practice your writing skills first.

8. digitig

digitig Contributor Contributor

Orpington, Bromley, United Kingdom, United Kingdom
    I think a lot of the problem is with your use of the space key, which is to say the least idiosyncratic, especially around parentheses. That made it very hard to read.

As for the story, I immediately thought of it as a modernised Bridge of San Luis Rey. There are no new ideas, it all comes down to how you write it, and as others have suggested your best bet is to practice your writing skills first.