1. TheDarkWriter

TheDarkWriter Active Member

Name dilemma

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by TheDarkWriter, Apr 28, 2013.

I'm considering using the name of characters from two different TV show's I've watched. They were cancelled and the characters weren't really big they were very minor if anything and the character ideas I've come up with are completely different with some minor similarities. I'm just worried this is plagiarism.

2. Thornesque

Thornesque Contributing Member

You can't copyright a name.

3. erebh

erebh Contributing Member Contributor

I don't think there's enough names in the universe to cover every character that was ever written - names will always double up somewhere and unless you use something like Ronald McDonald you're pretty safe...

4. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Staff Supporter Contributor

Sometime back in the late 80s I saw a really bad movie called Troll. The main character was a kid named Harry Potter. He was not the Harry Potter, but he appeared on film a good decade before Rowling's first book was published. Using an already-used name didn't seem to hold Rowling back at all, did it?

5. Xatron

Xatron Contributing Member

There are several threads on this subject. The general rule is that unless character you want to name is similar to the pre-existing character with the same name, you can use anything you want. For example if you write about a white wizzard named Gandalf who does this and that, you might have a problem (probably not legal problem but still). If your Gandalf is an awkward teenager though, you are in the clear.