1. Marcelo

Marcelo Contributing Member

Name for a story

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by Marcelo, May 31, 2008.

I have the characters designed, the plot and locations already in place and I have written the first three chapters and a prologue. The problem is, altough I have most of the story more or less defined, I cannot find a name for the story that sounds good.

The story is about two brothers named Alcher and Daniel Rawkes, who after fighting some bandints and helping the town of Vanaheim, are sent an invitation from the Imperial University. This university is an academy for adepts (a.k.a. mages), but do not worry, this has nothing to do with Harry Potter.

Then, the Emperor is assassinated by the Grandmagus, the leader of the Magisterium (The Magisterium is like the parliament). The Grandmagus then becomes Emperor, and it is revealed that he is part of a demonic cult worshipping Heolstor, the Traitor.

All adepts are then persecuted and killed, except the necromancers of the cult who are known as Blacknives. The main characters; along with two friends, a teacher and the teacher's familiar (a talking lynx) they escape to a forest.

A Hermit who lives in the forest, who was also the teacher's mentor, tells the animals to send message to all hiding adepts, and they reunite there. Then the adepts, along with the forest's creatures overthrow the Empire and defeat the necromancers.

I just explained like one quarter of the story, but this is all you need to help me name my story. Thanks in advance!

2. Klee

Klee Contributing Member

Is it really urgent to name your story? If you submit to a publisher, your editor might change the title anyway, so it's all that important. You can just give it a working title and keep changing it until you find something you like.

3. Al B

Al B Senior Member

Just give it a working title like, Forest Fire, or A Gathering in the Forest or something. A decent one will come to you.

Al

4. Marcelo

Marcelo Contributing Member

Klee, I'm not planning to publish it... I'm just 14 years old xD. However, I have always thought that names (for titles, places, objects, people) are really important. Oh well, I'll keep thinking..

5. Lucy E.

Lucy E. Contributing Member

I usually wait until I've finished writing and editing to give my stories titles. Until them, I give them temporary names.
    What or whom is the most important event in/aspect of/character in your story? You can name the story after that.

6. Kratos

Kratos Contributing Member

Look at some titles of books that you enjoy. What were they like? You could go:
    Title Character, i.e. Harry Potter
    Title Villian, i.e. The Lord of the Rings
    Legend, Tales, Chronicles, i.e. Chronicles of Narnia, A Song of Ice and Fire

There's plenty of other uses, such as Important Plot Point, some Important Phrase, a One-Word title that makes readers want to know what it means...there's a lot.

Decide what type of title you want, what type of feeling you want it to envoke on the reader, and then go from there.