Name for immortals

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by Elgaisma, Jan 15, 2011.

1. D.T.Roberts

D.T.Roberts New Member

Seems that would put a damper on the mood.

Maybe some derivation of the greek word for immortal

It's athanatos. In ancient greek its afthartos

2. RanaBanana

RanaBanana New Member

Hey I'm not entirely sure what your book is about but maybe you should look into something in Ancient Greek...(Attic Greek specifically) they have words for the most random things..I'll take a look in my text books and see if I find something that might be relevant to your characters =)

3. Elgaisma

Elgaisma Contributor Contributor

Thank you but either Litaens or Litarens

4. PapaSmurfberry

PapaSmurfberry Active Member

you can call them the ood lol

5. Elgaisma

lol but only some of them are oh so small minded :) Hmm however the Broody might be a great nickname :)

6. HorusEye

HorusEye Contributor Contributor

A little bit off topic, perhaps... Wouldn't it be more poetic if they did not have ways of contraception? That they are limited to a somewhat dull immortality right until that ever-so-brief moment of blooming with life and passion, which sadly marks the end of their immortality. It would give a whole new meaning to "the small death". While they can choose to be forever, they can only be truly alive for a moment.

And they wouldn't be so much an "all benefits, no catch" race.

7. Elgaisma

There are plenty of catches to being immortal in my book - they become obese if they don't eat a revolting diet and exercise for 3 hours a day, if they get sick or hurt themselves it takes between 3 and ten times as long to get better. They don't have any magical powers a human can't obtain, they maybe better at them but only because of the length of time they have to learn and practice in - and they have to practice the exercise/meditation 3 hours a day, whereas a human has no such obligation. They can become so sick or injured they go into a cocoon or stasis situation to heal. Not to mention in battle I have a binding to take care of them - basically binding places you in control of the person who bound you paralysed physically and mentally. If the person that did it is mortal and dies you are stuck that way.

Also the fall occured when in 2010 on Earth Noah Flood was commanded to build a spaceship and he travelled to Litae so the person who introduced sex to them would have known about at least using a bit of sheep intestine or leather :)

8. HorusEye

HorusEye Contributor Contributor

Haha. His name is Noah Flood?

Your book sounds crazy, but in an all-positive way.

9. Elgaisma

Noah Frank Flood lol - he built a spaceship that is called the Newark - its not meant to be very serious, in some places. I created him to explain why my characters had normal Earth names on a different planet.

Over several short stories and books have accidently come up with a 'creation' story, 'the fall', 'atonement'. a 'devil' and 'demons' none of them are Biblical - Noah is kind of my version of the flood story.

I just come up with new reasons to explain how my planet and universe work to make the story work lol The immortals grew out of a need to have a character that knew everything. Bird form being the ultimate attainment of practice of mediation and fighting techniques arrived when I needed a way for a first person character to observe something. Then gave him a Great Skua as an enemy.

10. Islander

Islander Contributor Contributor

I'm starting to like "pre-mortals" - it focuses on the mortality aspect, but it makes sense since they have so many weaknesses.

11. Elgaisma

now he changes his mind lol OK so they are now Litaen Premortals - the humans call them the Broody lol.