1. Lifeline

Lifeline South. Supporter Contributor

Name search

Discussion in 'Word Mechanics' started by Lifeline, May 2, 2016.

Grr.. never thought I'd post this but..

how would you name a group which does work which is right? Which needs to be done?

Sorry about the trite question but I am stumped in translation for too long.

2. DeadMoon

DeadMoon The light side of the dark side Contributor

A fictional group? like create a name or do you want the name to translate to something meaningful?

3. Lifeline

Just a name for a group which 'does what is right'. Sorry, I can't be more specific :(

4. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

The DWIR group, maybe?

The morality team?

Lifeline likes this.
  5. IHaveNoName

IHaveNoName Senior Member Community Volunteer

Crusaders.

Lifeline and Oscar Leigh like this.
  6. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Supporter Contributor

The Avengers? The Justice League? The Beatles? :p

Lifeline likes this.
  7. DefinitelyMaybe

DefinitelyMaybe Contributor Contributor

Will the group be named by itself? Or will it be named by others. If by themselves, you need to get into the collective mindset of the group and think about how they would name themselves. You'd have to avoid terms which have assigned meaning. E.g. you couldn't use 'The Rightists'. The name might say something about them other than their central beliefs, but maybe how they put them into action, and may have developed over time. E.g. 'No More Silence' may have become 'Nomsile' over time. (That sounds a bit less serious than it needs to be, how about Trulin, a shortening of 'The True Line', Trupa for 'The true path' etc.) If they feel that they are following the right path, then maybe they are 'Pathists'. Shades of Peru's 'Shining Path' there. Looking at the current names of groups may help. Remember that they don't actually need to be a group that does good, a group that names itself will most likely believe that it is doing good, or right.

I'm thinking of artistic movements that were named by their detractors. Does that include 'les Fauves'? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fauvism The artistic group would sometimes adopt the intended to be disparaging name. Perhaps the same could happen to your group. 'Social Justice Warrior' was intended to insult, but doesn't really if you think about it. I could imagine people sarcastically naming themselves that. who would insult your group, how would they insult them, and how could this be used as a self-accepted name?

EDIT: Translation? I may have missed the point of your post.

How about a portmanteau? Goodwork?

Oscar Leigh and Lifeline like this.
  8. Oscar Leigh

Oscar Leigh Contributor Contributor

Human rights activists or humanitarians is probably the most realistic modern-world term. Or maybe heroes. Altruists. Good Samaritans. Fantasy and/or old-fashioned? Maybe Good Samaritans or Altruists. But really I don't think there's a whole lot of terms for this. Chiefly because; define "good". Are your results the same as others? No. Morality is entirely opinion. So having a term to describe something as good generally is a bit meaningless because people will have differing positions on the true moral righteousness of that group. (This is that bit where I had to resist the temptation to go on a big moral complexity rant.:rant: Oh, me. :supergrin:)

Last edited: May 2, 2016
    Lifeline likes this.
  9. Lifeline

Okay.. you all have given me food for a lot of thought, thanks a bunch! :)

I will think on what you all have said and now that I think about it ..

... may have prodded my brain into sideways thinking! And it makes sense on a whole lot of levels, Yep!!! Thanks :D
    I declare the question solved!

DefinitelyMaybe likes this.
  10. Oscar Leigh

I think if your talking about the actual name and not a general term then any group whose name sounds particularly righteous will come of as self-righteous cocks. I mean, "True Path" come on! It's like if Doctors Without Borders called themselves "The Best Doctors" or Amnesty International called themselves "Guilt-Trip International", just to remind people that they're sooo nice, nahneenaneenana. :supertongue:
    ... Is this just me?

Last edited: May 2, 2016
    Lifeline likes this.
  11. Lifeline

Yep of course! But will these people care, that's the question :D Not to confuse you, I have not selected something so obvious but they (the group in my backbrain, they ARE these kind of dicks!) may well have. Luckily for me, my narrator supplied a more subtle solution..

Oscar Leigh likes this.
  12. DefinitelyMaybe

DefinitelyMaybe Contributor Contributor

It depends on the group. Doctors Without Borders is a reasonable group and hence they're unlikely to take on a hyperbolic name. However, lunatic fringe groups are more likely to do so. E.g. the homeopaths try to label themselves as 'Medicine for the 21st Century'. Jim Jones called his cult 'The Peoples Temple'. There's 'Heaven's Gate'. Daesh call themselves the 'Islamic State' and declare their leader the Caliph. There's the self-declared 'Moral Majority' (who declared themselves 'God's Own Party'), or 'Britain First' among rightist groups.

Oscar Leigh likes this.
  13. Oscar Leigh

Exactly. My point is, is the thread about a group who are appropriate to a wankery name?

14. Lifeline

Thanks Oscar :D