1. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Supporter Contributor

Name your notepad

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by Steerpike, Apr 21, 2016.

I write my first drafts by hand. My preferred writing instrument is the fountain pen. I'm always looking for good, quality notebooks with paper that will take the ink.

I like the Leuchtturm1917 notebook quite a bit. Just wonderful for writing. For a cheaper alternative, Caliber makes a top-bound spiral notebook that has heavy paper. It takes the ink well, but there is some see-through.

What do the rest of you who write by hand like to use?

Seraph751 likes this.
  2. Kate Sen

Kate Sen Member

When I first saw your thread title, I thought you were suggesting we give a nickname to our notepads. I actually once had a dream that told me that unless I named my new alarm clock, it would not be effective. So I named my alarm clock Fluffy. Sadly it was not effective anyway.

I use the Notes app on my iPhone for my writing. Haven't nicknamed it yet.

Seraph751, Komposten and Steerpike like this.
  3. Steerpike

Hmm. What would I name mine? Purgatorio? Abandon hope...

Seraph751 and Kate Sen like this.
  4. Komposten

Komposten Insanitary pile of rotten fruit Staff Supporter Contributor

I use my trusty $6 mechanical pencil and whatever notebook I can find that is cheaper than that. ;)
    (No quality book is worthy of the unreadable mess that I call a first draft.)

Steerpike likes this.
  5. Steerpike

I can't write in pencil anymore. Used to do it all the time. Then when I worked in research it was verboten, and now it's pens only for me :)

6. Lilith Addington

Lilith Addington Member

I tend to use cheap, plain, spiral bound, college ruled notebooks.

That said, I don't really like using cheap, plain, spiral bound, college ruled notebooks.

I do most of my work on the computer because I can type faster than I can write, but I almost always keep some little memo pads around my desk and in my bags. So much of my life is written out in memo pads and sticky notes. :p

And if I were to name my current journal.....I would probably name it "Neglected"

Kate Sen and Steerpike like this.
  7. Steerpike

@Lilith Addington I can't use those, because fountain pen ink runs right through the paper. It's a mess! Otherwise I'd probably use them.

8. Wreybies

Wreybies The Ops Pops Operations Manager Staff Contest Administrator Supporter Contributor

I've had a multitude of notebooks over the years. I tend to be partial to something that looks old-timie. Like an old leather-bound. A 1932 jade green laminated celluloid Parker Vacumatic has always been my pen of choice. I have another Vacumatic from 1935, black, with a wide gold guilloché patterned band on the cap (quite rare) that sometimes gets used instead.

Steerpike likes this.
  9. Lea`Brooks

Lea`Brooks Contributing Member Contributor

I also use cheap, plain, spiral bound, college ruled notebooks.

And cheap, plain, often yellow, mechanical pencils.

I do all of my creating and outlining in my notebook. Important things are transferred to Scrivener, like the mile-long list of main characters, sub characters, bird characters, and barely mentioned characters. Also my character outlines, so I can easily access their history and origins while writing. I also do my first drafts on the computer.

I have one notebook each for every book idea I have. For this one story alone, I have three, just full of ideas. Needless to say, I have a large stack of notebooks...

Steerpike likes this.
  10. Steerpike

Nice pens, Wreybies! Those vintage fountain pens are great.

11. Wreybies

Wreybies The Ops Pops Operations Manager Staff Contest Administrator Supporter Contributor

I have hundreds. Literally. I think we've spoken of this in the past. I used to collect them when I worked at an antiques auction house, and I taught myself to refurbish them. I've even had blank leather-bounds that were themselves antiques. Sometimes just the first couple of pages written in, sometimes never touched. The fellah I was dating at the time thought it was a crime to actually use them. :)

12. Steerpike

Yeah, I remember discussing it. I'll have to hit up some auction houses or antique stores and see if I can find any. The ones I have newer. Mostly Waterman. Wouldn't mind a Mont Blanc. Maybe someone will get me a Meisterstück as a present :D

13. Wreybies

Mont Blanc is overrated! No, no, no. If you want a newer pen, look at Pelican or Monte Grappa. For older pens, Parker reigns supreme. Sheaffer runs a close second. They had some beautiful pens too, back in the day. ;)

This is the place I get repair parts. Look at their selection of new and vintage pens. Pure decadence.

http://www.fountainpenhospital.com/

Steerpike likes this.
  14. Steerpike

I'll look at those brands you've mentioned. I've only ever wanted a Mont Blanc because of name recognition, and that they're supposed to be high quality. I've heard good things about Pelikan. Not familiar with Monte Grappa, though. I'll look into them.

I like that Fountain Pen Hospital site a lot :)

15. Jack Asher

Jack Asher Wildly experimental Contributor

I avoid handwriting as much as possible. The meds make my hands shake.

I'm also never not around a computer, so it really hasn't ever turned into an issue for me.

16. SMScoles

SMScoles Member

I like to write with a fountain pen as well. My favorite notebooks are Rhodia brand. They really deal well with FP ink.

17. Steerpike

Are those the orange notebooks? I've heard they are good.

18. Wreybies

The green Parker I mentioned is almost exactly this one here. This one is a 1933 or 1934. You can tell by the push button at the back end hidden by the end cap. The 1932 model is identical, but the push button looks different.

http://www.estilograficas.net/parker-vacumatic-oversize-green/

[​IMG]

19. zoupskim

zoupskim Contributing Member Contributor

I use Skilcraft green logbooks, with M3 post-it notes stuck to the pages inside, with whatever pen I can find. I don't like writing by hand, thought. My handwriting looks like a five year old's. But, I force myself to do it so I can catch ideas when I find them, plus its supposed to make you think a different way than if you type.

20. SMScoles

SMScoles Member

21. Komposten

Komposten Insanitary pile of rotten fruit Staff Supporter Contributor

I hate writing in ink, for some reason (and that's not because I can't erase, since I practically never erase anything even when writing in pencil)...

Also, to be fair I have actually upped the quality of the notebooks I use a little recently. About a month ago I discovered Whitelines notebooks (essentially notebooks with white lines instead of grey), and I absolutely love them! My notes (mostly lecture notes so far, but definitely going to use these for fiction as well) are actually readable!

22. LostThePlot

LostThePlot Contributing Member

I write on pink tinted A4 pads. They're supposed to be for special education (I think they help dyslexic kids read better) but I spend too long staring at stark, white things both on screen and off to voluntarily use it for anything I personally do. My word processors are set up the same way; same exact shade of pink too. Easier on the eye, easily found on my desk among any other bits of paper.

I always used to like writing in fountain pen when I was at school and I certainly see the attraction today but it's just not the best idea if I want to write in a hurry. Aside from anything else, my handwriting was never great and has only gotten worse. A biro lacks that certain something but they also ensure my handwriting is legible and it doesn't matter if I lose them.

23. Justin Phillips

Justin Phillips Active Member

99 cent spiral notebook and whatever pencil I can find that has an eraser. Then everything gets transferred to my laptop, and the editing begins.

rider1046 and peachalulu like this.
  24. JamieW

JamieW New Member

I write on anything, I've even written ideas on the back of envelopes while out shopping or whatever :/

rider1046 likes this.
  25. Seraph751

Seraph751 If I fell down the rabbit hole...

On Index Cards in pen in cursive ^ ^ or a cheap notepad

rider1046 likes this.