1. Jordan Hoffman

Jordan Hoffman New Member

Names for my 2 most powerful Gods. Silly or decent.

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by Jordan Hoffman, May 30, 2016.

Greetings, only my second post, so I thought I'd just make it a name critique.

My fantasy novel has 4 super-powerful gods total. But there was an original god, and then the child of that god (no relation to Christianity there, just coincidence). Those 2 are by far the most powerful.

I enjoy using anagrams to help me find unique names. Here are the names I came up with:

1) Patliteon - anagram for potential
    2) Mypthea - anagram for empathy

These names reflect a key attribute of these gods, and I'm just curious how they sound to you. I really like Mypthea, but I'm not sure about Patliteon.

2. Tenderiser

Tenderiser Not a man or BayView

The Mighty Tenderiser is a GREAT deity name.

I also like Mypthea--very reminiscent of ancient Greek names. I'm also unsure about Patliteon. It's a bit of a mouthful, and even after sounding it out several times it doesn't trip off the tongue. On the other hand the -eon, and the similarity to Pantheon, also makes me think of the Greeks, so it goes well with Mypthea.

cydney, izzybot and KokoN like this.
  3. Writeorflight

Writeorflight Active Member

I am probably not pronouncing them correctly, "mipe-thee-uh" and "pat-lit-ee-in". But my first thought, was that your names give a sort of Greek/Roman mythology feel. But of course good writing, characters, culture, etc. will help differentiate your story. I think they sound perfectly fine! They're just the right uniqueness without being too difficult to read. Hope this helps! And good luck with your writing!

4. hawls

hawls Active Member

Say them out loud.

Does the mere sound of their names give an impression of what they are about?

I would say not, in this case. Anagrams can be great but they don't always work. Never underestimate the way a name sounds, the tones, the texture, how it feels in the mouth okay I'll stop there moving on.

Essentially, you want one name that inspires, motivates, that people feel like a spark in their hearts and minds.
    And another that implores, that beseeches, that people feel settle like a weight on their hearts and souls.

For "inspiration" you want strong, sharp sounds in the name.

For "empathy" you want tender, soft sounds.

5. Iain Aschendale

Iain Aschendale Lying, dog-faced pony Marine Supporter Contributor

Currently Reading::
    Telemachus Sneezed
    I think they're ok. Were it not for cultural conditioning and association with specific acts or allegations, none of us would have the reactions we do to (random sampling) the words Jehovah, Kali, Allah, or Hermes. The one caution I'd have is that, by using anagrams, you might make it seem like either the worshippers named (or created, the gods, but this isn't the debate room) or that those words don't exist in your world's lexicon.

I still like the idea of anagramming (is that a verb) common words to make uncommon names, I may steal it :)

Seraph751 likes this.
  6. Mumble Bee

Mumble Bee Keep writing. Contributor

The Chained One
    The Great Planner

cydney likes this.
  7. izzybot

izzybot (unspecified) Contributor

Tenderiser pretty much said everything I was going to say. I like both, but Mypthea more - both have a Greek god sound so there's an internal consistency (better if your other deities do too), though Patliteon doesn't roll of the tongue too well. It's the hard stops in both 'pat' and 'lit'.