1. Lea`Brooks

Lea`Brooks Contributor Contributor

Names for my magical sects

Discussion in 'Setting Development' started by Lea`Brooks, Mar 11, 2016.

In my current WIP, I have three sects of magic users. They're like clubs. Only certain people can join, and they stay pretty much under the radar. No one knows what goes on inside these groups or if they're corrupt or pure or what. I've been struggling to come up with good names for them, but I think I found some that might work and want to know what y'all think.

Society of the Keepers of Life -- Often just called "the Keepers," this is a group of life/creation magic users (or Vales) that worship the Life Goddess Avanni.

Acolytes of Aeron Brotherhood -- A group of death/destruction magic users (or Vexes) that worship the Death God Aeron, either referred to as Acolytes or the Brotherhood.

The Grey -- A group of spirit/illusion magic users (or Videns) that worship the Spirit God Veiro. They stay so hidden that no one knows their group, or even their magic, exists. They call themselves the Grey because they are born with white hair and grey eyes, and they consider their magic to be a "grey" area. Vales can create life (white) and Vexes can take it away (black), but Videns can do both (grey).

Do you think those group names work? Any suggestions or feedback is appreciated. :)

2. SethLoki

SethLoki Retired Autodidact Contributor

With the first, if their magic is their craft then couldn't they be a guild, The Guild of Life Keepers? Or are they too exclusive for that? An order maybe? given their habit for worship.

With the second, I feel a 'the' could be used with the Acolytes of the Aeron Brotherhood.

The third, I recall someone calling a mysterious group 'The Shaded Way' which I thought was ace. Grey though I reckon does the business there given their physical traits; mind you, thinking of aliens now.... hmmm The Faint, The Mist, The Vague?.... no I'm struggling.

3. Lea`Brooks

Lea`Brooks Contributor Contributor

I originally had the Guild for the first group, but I worried it sounded too cliche. They are still pretty exclusive, but out of the three group, they are the most open. They used to patrol the streets, watching for injustices that the local guards missed. They'd heal people who needed serious help. They even had a non-members area of their compound where people could come to lounge around, drink, and socialize. Do you think Guild works better still?

I love the addition of "the." It changes the entire name somehow.

Out of all the names I chose, the Grey is my favorite. It's vague, mysterious, but it still fits them.

Thank you! :D

4. Michaelhall2007

Michaelhall2007 New Member

A coven or covan usually refers to a gathering of witches.
    Maybe you could use that for one of the groups.

But remember, a rose by any other name would smell as sweet.

Oscar Leigh likes this.