1. Caterwaulings

Caterwaulings Member

Places/Orgs that bring a large cast together

Discussion in 'Setting Development' started by Caterwaulings, Feb 21, 2016.

Hey everyone!

I am hoping to turn a YA novel into an adult novel. It has to do with the reincarnations of constellations (mainly the zodiac) who are being brutally murdered by Orion. In the original novel the book was set at a high school and girls had been murdered on and off for a measure of time before the book opened. Of course, things only accelerated as the book went on.

To make this an adult book I need to figure out a good place for my large cast. I have:
    12 zodiac (originally only females but I can change that)
    their leader (the main character, female)
    love interest (male)
    non super ally (female)
    mentor (female)
    henchman (?)
    Orion's alias (?)

It's a lot of characters--but there are many that are only MENTIONED and never on screen because they are already dead. I promise that they are all necessary and my experienced critique partners and well-published mentor thought I should ADD characters.

In any case, the protagonist is a former foster youth, probably 20/21. I am having trouble thinking of places where the cast (mostly in a 4 year age range) could interact on some reoccurring level. The only place that I have thought of so far is a small university, but I don't want to be limited to only one idea.

Thank you so much!

2. NeighborVoid

NeighborVoid Active Member

The cast are the incarnations of constellations, so it'd make sense for the setting to be in space. Perhaps a remote asteroid-mining operation or a research expedition?

3. Caterwaulings

Caterwaulings Member

That's a cool idea. I've written and revised the novel many times with it set in contemporary times as an urban fantasy. But I will definitely toss that idea around in my head. Maybe I can uproot the characters and put them in space.