Tags:
  1. Xatron

Xatron New Member

Names

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by Xatron, Feb 4, 2013.

Here is my problem: I have already established that Minotaurs in my universe are a half-stupid race when it comes to interactions with other races and their language sounds like a combination of hissing, spitting and coughing. My problem now is that i have to name two of them and their names have to be full of consonants, like "Hrzitgrnothr" or something like that but i can not think of anything that i can pronounce after i write it down. Anyone with an idea is welcome to share .

2. tcol4417

tcol4417 Member

Try stringing together phonetic sounds and then dumbing down the pronunciation until you have something more gutteral.

My favourite example of this is the infamous line, "They took our jobs!" line in south park, which devolves to "Dey took ur jurbs!" and eventually "Durker durr!"

Take note that some consonants can be used well in conjunction with others while some are simply impossible to pronounce. R-N-T flows easily enough, while T-P-K is a little less practical.

The first thing that came to mind was Harundelmagurder, which would become Hrndlm'grdr if you wanted to "minatourise" it. Apostrophes are typically used to indicated a slight pause when saying it (as far as I'm aware)

3. Xatron

Xatron New Member

I didn't know that about apostrophes, i will try to use it.

4. creative_nothings

creative_nothings New Member

You might try some name generators which are all over the net. One of my favorites is http://seventhsanctum.com/ ... might help ya out :D

5. IzzGidget

IzzGidget New Member

Exclamations points stand for a clicking sound in many tribal languages. You could do something like that.

6. iolair

iolair Active Member

As a reader, I have big trouble with names that are too complicated to stick in my mind - although for minor/incidental characters they can be okay. The biggest problems are when it's not obvious how I could pronounce the name - it's offputting if I have to stop and work out how to say something. (Although, if the pronunciation is obvious, you clearly can get away with complicated character names like Douglas Adams' Slartibartfast and Zaphod Beeblebrox).

Also, I can't see a "half-stupid" species have very complicated names. Would they remember them? (Or is their memory good even though their intelligence is low).

To my imagination, a name for a minotaur (based on how I imagine them speaking - bearing in mind they have the mouth of a bull so may sound a little like one) may be something like "Hrung", "Grum", "Ngoof", "G'noth" (apostrophe to show it's not a silent G), "Kruthryr", "Djoonk".