Names

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by ILTBY, Dec 5, 2007.

1. Kit

Kit Contributor Contributor

I hadn't noticed the gender icon thingy....

I'm Kit... and I suppose one or two of you know my proper name... but I prefer Kit. Lol.

2. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

loh...
    don't know what 'journey' you're asking about, but after giving away my home and all in it, i wandered coast to coast and border to border throughout the us and canada by rv for 2 and a half years [starting in '95], which included a month-long at-sea return to greece on my favorite cruise ship, the stella solaris, for a second 6-week stay on mykonos and visits to the neighboring sacred isle of delos...

after that, i gave away the rv and contents too, lived with and helped the hopi on their desolate mesas and ghetto kids in the scary south bronx, lived and worked in homeless shelters in 3 states for a couple of years, then lived all over europe, the us and canada as a freebie house and pet-sitter for some years, finally settling for good here on the tiny, tranquil island of tinian, when i got too old for global schlepping, a couple of years ago... you can get the details on my site, or in an article i wrote for an ex-pat e-zine i'll be glad to forward by email, if you really want to know more...

hugs, maia
    maia3maia@hotmail.com

3. Gunslinger

Gunslinger New Member

Wow!

4. lordofhats

lordofhats New Member

That is impressive. I must say I've never heard anything like that before. It actually sound's like it would make a good book or movie.

5. Gunslinger

Gunslinger New Member

I second that.

6. Torana

Torana Contributor Contributor

Those I know well know my real name and I rarely give it out to people unless I do know them well.
    You can either call me Tor, Torana or what all my friends call me and that is Shee. It used to be Heshee just because I was a really aggressive person back in highschool. But that name was left behind when I became a mother, please do not call me that.

So yeah my username or my nickname Shee. Either way is fine by me.

7. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Shee Who Must Be Obeyed (H. Ryder Haggard reference :))

8. Torana

lol Cogito I was waiting for a reply like that from you actually. :) Definately a good one as I should DEFINATELY be obeyed :p:p lol

9. Gunslinger

Gunslinger New Member

Nice to meet you! My real name is Edmund (not Edward), you can call me Ed.

10. Torana

Thank you and it is nice to meet you too Ed :)

11. ILTBY

ILTBY Contributor Contributor

Torana, do you mind if I ask what 'Heeshee' is in reference to? Why is it associated with aggression? I've just never heard the term before.

Hope that's not too intrusive :)

12. Torana

They called me Heshee cause I was always acting less like a female than I should have been. I look female of course cause I am, but acted more like a male. I was the first to stand up for a fight, I never backed down and basically I spent more time around the guys than I did the girls back in school.

The guys always treated me like one of the guys and that is kind of how it came about. I was always called Shee and then when I was always with the guys and never the girls they started calling me Heshee saying I had bigger balls than most of them did as well.....

<Does that make sense cause I'm not sure really?>

13. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

It's amazing the things that other people can feel threatened over. They probably envied you, so felt they had to try to take you down a notch.

The pack always singles out the one who doesn't conform :)

14. Torana

I never minded the name though. But since I closed that chapter of my life I don't like being called that name anymore. It is the whole one door closes and another one opens type of thing I guess.

15. ILTBY

Yep, I understand what you mean Torana :) It's awful that we're expected by society to act feminine to the 'proper' extent. I was like you when I was younger, very much a tomboy and not at all into girly stuff. I'm a bit girlier these days, but I still prefer the company of males and I like a lot of 'guy stuff'. I've always been treated as one of the guys, too, and I have no issue with it.

We should never be made to feel like we have to conform to society's standards. Unfortunately, we all are made to feel like we should be 'normal'.

16. Torana

I am very feminine now compared to what I used to be. Even DOZ can tell you that much lol but still I am not the type to walk around all prissy and all that real female hype sort of thing.
    I get along better with males than I do females for MANY reasons. I've more male friends than female and tend to be seen as a threat strangely enough now. But yeah I don't care what people think cause I am 100% happy with who I am and if people don't like that then it is their problem as far as I am concerned.
    I act all feminine when need be to keep the peace for family occassions and when I meet guys families for the first few times till I am comfortable with them. Otherwise I just be me.

17. ILTBY

Yup, same :) I can be all girly and pretty when it's a special occasion or a girls' day out, but I'm most comfortable when I'm in a pair of jeans and a small t-shirt :)

I care far too much about what others think, I'm always trying to please everyone else. On the whole, I think I'm a pretty good person, so I guess if people can't accept me for who I am that's their problem.

18. Torana

Good way to think ILTBY! :)

19. Banzai

Banzai One-time Mod, but on the road to recovery Contributor

Indeed. Gender stereotypes are stupid.

20. Gunslinger

Gunslinger New Member

Where I'm from a Heshe is a cross dresser, also known as a transvestite.

Where I'm from Torana would be called a tomboy, a girl who acts in a boyish manner (ie. doing boy things).

21. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

loh and ed...
    that's not even the half of it... or a quarter!... would take a trilogy or more to get from start to finish [at least up to where i am now]... just the human shield action in iraq that i volunteered for and ended up pretty much running, is half a movie on its own...

right now, i'm actually in the middle of writing a post-apocalyptic screenplay with real bits of my life with the hopi tossed in... and my so-called 'retirement' here on tinian is becoming yet another full length feature!...

hugs, m

22. ILTBY

Gunslinger, in Australia, a male who is feminine is often called a 'shim'...they're all pretty offensive terms.

23. Gunslinger

Gunslinger New Member

Heshe in the U.S. is slang, and offensive, but tomboy is not offensive here.

24. ILTBY

Nah, tomboy isn't offensive here either :) But there are a lot of derogatory terms for feminine males/gay men/transvestites/drag queens.