1. Marcelo

Marcelo Contributing Member

Naming a Collection

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by Marcelo, Nov 2, 2009.

Well, I gathered all of the short stories I've written and I realized I have no name for the collection. How can I name a collection of short stories? Nothing comes to my head. Any tips at doing this?

2. arron89

arron89 Banned

If there's nothing particularly unifying about them, just call it "Stories" or "Collected Works" or something generic like that, or name it after one of the stories..."The Informers", "First Love, Last Rites"...

3. Sillraaia

Sillraaia Senior Member

"Marcelo, Unplugged" ?
    Sounds like a truly personal decision. Anything would work, really. It's just a name. Planning on trying for publishing? The rest of the cover has plenty of room for a description stating your name and that it is a collection of stories. So effectually, you could call it "Please Pay My Rent" and be just fine. Though I wouldn't think that title would sell well. But then - it is kind of humorous, and I would probably glance at the back cover of a book called that just for being funny. :)
    I think the publisher holds some sway over what title to use, too, so it could always change after you have decided.
    Good luck

4. Marcelo

Marcelo Contributing Member

No, I'm not trying to publish, but I like naming things. :D
    Anyway, I'll name it after one of the short stories and then I'll add "and other works". Thanks!

5. jwatson

jwatson Active Member

Henry James's collection of short stories:
    The Turn of the Screw and Other Stories

As you can see, it is really easy :p

6. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

it's good that you're not trying to publish it, since paying publishers won't take on a collection by an unknown new writer...

if you want to have them published in book form sometime in the future, you'll have to make a name for yourself as a writer and have them published in respected magazines or literary journals...

7. iolair

iolair Active Member

Most short story collections I've seen are named after one of the stories, occasionally with "... and other stories" tacked onto the end.

8. SilverWolf0101

SilverWolf0101 Active Member

I once had a friend run into the same issue as you did, only she's a published poet now. Her solution to the problem was to tack the name of the her favorite work onto the title then put "and other works". It worked for her, so it may work for you.

9. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

did she actually get a paying publisher to put out a collection of her poems, or is she only self-published?...

i'm asking because it's a generally accepted fact that a collection of poetry by an unknown writer won't interest 'real' publishers and if there's an exception to that rule, i'd like to know which press it is, so i can include that info in my advice to new writers who're seeking a publisher...