Naming characters that allude to their personality

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by RyanBushell, Feb 9, 2012.

1. Christine Ralston

Christine Ralston Active Member

What really irritates me is when authors give their characters names that are difficult to pronounce. This can make it cumbersome even to get through a good book.

KaTrian likes this.
  2. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

Yeah, one of my very favorite trilogies by Octavia Butler (Dawn, Imago, Adulthood Rights) is marred by the initial lead character being named Lilith. Perhaps not as bad as King Wisdom, but for an author known for her handling of feminist issues, I thought that it was a bit on the nose.

3. Mike Hill

Mike Hill Natural born citizen of republic of Finland.

I make some names just randomly in my head, others via generator and with some I think about the meaning.

4. ChickenFreak

ChickenFreak Contributor Contributor

I go with cheesy. It could work in a very small subset of works, mostly those with a fairly fluid reality, but I think it's safest to avoid.

5. Bjørnar Munkerud

Bjørnar Munkerud Senior Member

It depends on the genre and the subtlety, and, frankly, each character, name, reader and author. I tend to utilise it only in comedic writings, at least in its blatant forms. Sometimes, though, there's a background/canon reason why a character has a certain name; for example one of my characters in a "serious" work has the given name Windie because she was found by the man who would raise her in a forest on a windy autumn morning. Another character has the surname Lakeleaf because generations past his family lived by a beautiful lake with trees all around so that leaves would fall into it and so people started calling them the Lakeleaf family because people would then instantly know who they were referring to, as this was before surnames came into use. Whether or not you make names like these actually reflect their personalities or not is of course up to you as the author.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2014
  6. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor