1. hippocampus

hippocampus Active Member

Naming your book

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by hippocampus, Feb 14, 2012.

I know I'm jumping the gun a bit here since I don't plan to finish my fiction novel for some months yet. However, a few fun book names have popped into my head.

What happens if you want to name your book something that's already out there? I'm not talking about something really well known like "Harry Potter." Are there any rules or guidelines about this type of thing?

Or maybe the publisher gets to decide that? :eek:

2. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Don't worry about naming your book yet. Up until the point you begin submitting, consider any title a working title. And even after that, your publisher may ask you to change it, or you might suggest a new name.

And book titles are not copyrightable. On obvious infringment to attempt to mislead buyers is another matter, But I would bet you could find a dozen books named "Kill Zone" or "Kamikaze" or "Bloodlines".

3. hippocampus

hippocampus Active Member

Thanks Cogito! Yes... the book title was more of an incentive/visualization thing for me - if I can see the title and "book cover" in my head, I feel like I'm really writing a someday-to-be-finished product. Know what I mean?

4. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

yes, many books [and movies] do have the same title, so it's not that major an issue...

i'd advise using whatever you want for now and do a title search on amazon and google for the ones you like best, to see if they're too over-used, before you pick one for your completed ms and start querying...

5. cruciFICTION

cruciFICTION Contributing Member Contributor

I know of two Twilights. One horrible, infamous one by SMeyer. One horrible, obscure one by William Gay.
    One of my few favourite novels is called Company. There's bound to be a few by that name.
    Of course, there's also the massive range of novels named after proverbs, lines from Shakespeare and other old fictions, song lyrics and so on, so forth. There's no one way to name stuff. You just have to find something that embodies the feeling you get when you think of it, I think.

6. TWErvin2

TWErvin2 Contributing Member Contributor

There is nothing wrong with writing with a 'working title.' Most writers seem to do this. The title may change by the time you finish the novel or, if you submit it to a publisher and it's accepted, working with the publisher, the 'working title' may be kept, altered or even changed. There would be a lot of factors that go into this, including marketing as well as just trying to get the best title for the work. Most publishers will work with the author on this, and often the author's choice is the most appropriate--but not always. Of course, if you self-publish, whatever you decide upon will go.