NaNoWriMo Nanowrimo 2014

Discussion in 'NaNoWriMo' started by Daniel, Oct 25, 2006.

Tags:
  1. LeighAnn

LeighAnn Member

I use NaNo to plunk out a first draft that I can then beat with a stick until a finished product falls out. And every year I end up with something that I can happily show my editor (after the beating, of course). I write more than 50k words a months anyway, but NaNo has become my reminder that I need to write another fantasy novel. At least I never forget.

ToDandy and Alya like this.
  2. Christine Ralston

Christine Ralston Active Member

I'd love to participate in this, but November is going to be a very busy month for me working on my Master's degree. I have a week-long coloquium to attend. Probably won't have the time for any writing at all that week. So, I'll pick up the pace in December instead.

3. Drue Bernardi

Drue Bernardi New Member

I'm planning on participating and I'm doing a lot of things to prepare. First off I am clearing off the desk in my bedroom and setting it up for marathon writing. I've got two boards (cork & dry-erase) to use for keeping track of certain details to avoid having to constantly click away.

I'm also going to spend the next month flexing my writing muscles by writing just random things. Sometimes using my own old characters from failed projects, sometimes using established characters from my favorite fiction, and also competing in the writing contests here. This way I'm sharp as a pistol when the NaNoWriMo gets here.

4. ToDandy

ToDandy Senior Member

This year I wrote my novel during the months of July through september, so my novel-writing-break-period will be during the month of November.

So this year, I am mixing it up a bit. I will be writing my Screenplay instead during NaNoWriMo while my beta readers go through my current novel.

Currently I'm reading a lot of scripts. This one will be animated, sort of more traditional, so I'm looking at stuff like Anastasia and Lion King. Hoping to get it done in time for the Page Awards Screenwriting Festival, but that might be a little optimistic.

Also doing lots and lots of outlining. Can't wait to get started on it. Most screenplays are between 25,000 and 30,000 words, so this should work perfectly.

5. Adenosine Triphosphate

Adenosine Triphosphate Member Contributor

I'll sort of do it, but I'm starting now, and I'm going for twenty-five thousand words instead of fifty. Results > rules, at least for me.

6. Mike Nemesis

Mike Nemesis Active Member

I'm considering giving it a go again. I haven't tried it for the last year or two and the two years before that both times I manage to have my laptop explode on me and lose all my novel progress somewhere around the two week mark. Rather bad luck! Currently I have a concept but I'm yet to work out a solid plot or the main characters. It's an interesting position as I've normally worked out one of the other two parts before. Shall see whether anything forms a bit more concrete and try to get some planning on the go before it all kicks off.

7. peachalulu

peachalulu Member Reviewer Contributor

I might give it a go. I did it last year. But this year I'm thinking of doing a pile of short stories rather than a novel. I didn't like the fact that I lost momentum in the novel after I reached the Nanowrite goal and my book was only 1/3 done. This way no matter what happens I should have some interesting first drafts of some short stories.

8. elynne

elynne Active Member

I'm planning on giving it a go, yeah. I was hoping to have my current project at least done in first draft by now, but September kind of went completely bonkers on me; so now the goal is to finish the first draft of current project by the end of October, then take a "break" from it to do NNWM, then spend December licking current project into shape for posting. then I just have to decide which story I want to try to write for NNWM... or if I want to try to come up with something completely new. decisions, decisions...

9. LadyofLettes

LadyofLettes New Member

I need some suggestions/help. I'm doing NaNoWriMo again for the fifth time. I have a few different novel ideas and I can't decide which one.

The first choice is a rewrite of the first novel in a three part series I'm working on.
    Now that Kaylin has finished and graduated from college, she decides to move across the country with her best friend James. The town is type of town where everyone knows everyone and everything and secrets aren’t an option. The town is turned upside down when people start getting murdered by an unknown source. Kaylin feels that it’s up to her to put her life, and the life of those around her in danger just to get to the bottom of it.

The second is an idea I've been working with for a few months.
    You should never have to go through the type of pain that the Ross's have had to deal with.
    Tristan Ross was only back for a short time to bury his brother and help his family deal with the devastating pain of losing a family member.
    Sadie Caxton was the best friend to the deceased and to the twin, Lucy. She was only there to help her best friend and her family deal with the pain of losing someone.
    Sadie and Tristan both have devastating pasts, they both have secrets. Falling for each other could end up being the worst thing for each other, or the best.

And the third is to come up with an entirely new idea in the next month.

10. peachalulu

Being that you've done this five times you sound like more of an expert. :) I did it last year and I'm thinking of doing it again. Last year I chose an idea I was familiar with since I didn't know what I was getting into. I reformatted a screenplay I wrote into a book. Made the Nanowrite goal but it only ammounted to 100+ pages. Fun though.

This year I'm going to try writing a bunch of short stories. My agenda is to see how many I can get done because the idea's have been stockpiling in a folder for years.

Your ideas sound interesting ( I love the small-town-where everyone-knows-everyone mysteries )but I would find the second one hard to write. Grief and trying to keep up with a word count - for me- that would be really tough. The rewrite might be a little too easy but more satisfying if you had plans for it - self publishing or sending it off to a standard publisher. But if you're up for something more daring trying something new can be exhilarating. Typical me, I'm arguing all sides.

11. teeekilicious18

teeekilicious18 Member

yep, definitely next year. cheers!

12. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Supporter Contributor

I'm going to try it. I haven't decided what to write, though. I have a short novel I want to work on, and piling another 50k words on it would please me immensely. On the other hand, I have a novelette that is crying out to be a novel, and I might just do that instead. It's a powerful story and needs more space.

13. Tara

Tara Senior Member

I would love to, but the novel I'm writing for a school project has to be finished on the 4th of November, and after that I'll have to work on a written report about the process.

Oh well, maybe I've got enough time next year (or the year after, or after that etc.)

14. SocksFox

SocksFox Contributor Contributor Contest Winner 2023

'We go in, we go in full throttle.' - Luke Skywalker, A New Hope.

I will have my current endeavour done by NaNoWrMo. As in years past I use it as a jumping off point for a new project. And boy, have I found my project, an opening piece I thought I lost when my computer died, one whose characters have made subsequent appearances across my other works. It is time for their story to be told.

15. terminalfrost

terminalfrost New Member

The goal is to get 50,000 words but the fun is trying. I've fallen short more times than I've reached 50k.

16. peachalulu

Anyone joining this year? I've decided to give it another go. I decided not to do a novel this year and instead I picked 9 short stories ( and 1 back up. ) Five are Apocalyptic stories, 2 crime, 3 sci/fi fantasy.

S S likes this.
  17. S S

S S Active Member

I already wrote my idea I had for it earlier this month, but I might give a go at writing the prequel for Nanowrimo.

teeekilicious18 and peachalulu like this.
  18. Dazen

Dazen Active Member

I suppose it's long time, no see, but yes, I'm definitely going to try again for NaNoWriMo this year.

peachalulu likes this.
  19. Lancie

Lancie Senior Member

I've not done it for a couple of years, was just discussing it with my non-writing other half. I have an idea brewing but still not sure if I'm going to take the plunge.

20. A.M.P.

A.M.P. People Buy My Books for the Bio Photo Contributor

I wont partake, but I will write another 50,000 words for my novel (as a soft goal) this month so ill be with yall in spirit.

Poziga and peachalulu like this.
  21. S S

S S Active Member

You could submit those 50,000 and win a prize!

22. A.M.P.

A.M.P. People Buy My Books for the Bio Photo Contributor

Lol, Internet and video games are distraction enough, especially with the new releases coming very soon, I dont need another disraction. Focus focus focus for me!

23. SocksFox

SocksFox Contributor Contributor Contest Winner 2023

I'm game. I have a project I need to kick into gear.

24. ChaosReigns

ChaosReigns Ov The Left Hand Path Contributor

yep, second year running, last year i did what i thought would be a one book thing, this year im doing book 3 of the same timeline!

25. Oliviaissweet

Oliviaissweet New Member

I'm in! This will be my first year entering! I've already got a book cover prepared and everything. My icon is part of my book cover! I'm so excited lol