NaNoWriMo Nanowrimo 2016

Discussion in 'NaNoWriMo' started by A.S.Ford, Feb 25, 2016.

1. A.S.Ford

A.S.Ford Active Member

It definitely is weird haha. Just like how I had a mental writer's block for ages and now 6/7 days before Camp starts I am really inspired :) (hopefully it will stay that way throughout Camp, haha)

2. Kinzvlle

Kinzvlle At the bottom of a pit Contributor

My cabin seems rather diverse in both word count and people. I just hit the random people button and it got me quite the diverse cabin. The word counts go everywhere from 30 words to 104,474 words. We`ve got a lot of fan fiction writers, quite a few fantasy, one scfi, and one other short story guy. This cabin should be quite fun.

3. A.S.Ford

A.S.Ford Active Member

Sounds like a good cabin :) I created my own cabin this time so I didn't get to choose any specifics or options about who would be placed in it. In the last two Camps I did this I still got a diverse group. I don't mind the group I have I was just surprised at how little in diversity it was. Wow, a 104,471 word count is serious business, haha!

4. A.S.Ford

A.S.Ford Active Member

Not long now till the writing begins! I am so excited it is verging on ridiculous, haha. How are your plans and preparation for your Camp pieces going?

I have mainly been focusing on my plans for the larger section of my project but next week I am going to try to plan the other two areas a lot more before Camp officially starts :)

5. Kinzvlle

I really haven`t done much planning to my short story tbh. I have the general idea, and I've discussed the use of flashbacks with people here, but other than that. I should probably plot it out more this coming week if I can find the time with upcoming school deadlines.

6. A.S.Ford

A.S.Ford Active Member

Yeah, school deadlines and any other obligations suck and drain a lot of time and energy :( I get the same with my university assignments ... although perhaps I shouldn't complain too much since I am doing a Creative Writing degree so most of my assignments are writing short stories and poetry, haha. A lot of people work better without a lot of planning so if you find the same then don't make yourself do anything that won't help you or if you usually do a lot planning but can't or don't want to this time then, since you have the general idea (which is arguably the most important thing), you could try writing it as it comes to you, essentially winging it when it comes to the writing?

7. Kinzvlle

Only a few more days. I have academic deadlines, on Friday nice little symbolism there fishing those so I can start a new thing. Now I'm just waiting and stockpiling candy.

A.S.Ford likes this.
  8. Love_Aud

Love_Aud New Member

OHHHH Stockpiling candy! What a great idea ;)

9. A.S.Ford

A.S.Ford Active Member

Camp starts tomorrow at midnight! So excited ... though also a little upset I won't be able to start at midnight as I have to catch a 9 a.m bus the following morning to an important meeting at my university. I will definitely be writing when I get back from the meeting though :) Any one else as buzzed as I am?

10. Tenderiser

Tenderiser Not a man or BayView

I'm in a cabin, mostly for the networking and meeting other authors. My goal is to complete my 85,000 word manuscript and have it ready for betas by the end of the month.

A.S.Ford likes this.
  11. A.S.Ford

A.S.Ford Active Member

Good luck with your goal :) I hope you enjoy Camp!

Tenderiser likes this.
  12. datahound2u

datahound2u Member

My cabin is also pretty diverse insofar as genre is concerned, and each one of us has the same word count goal: 50,000. Most seem to be veterans, but there are some like me and doing it for the first time.

My tummy has been a little flip-floppy this entire week. I know I'm nervous, and I think there is some justification for that. I don't know what everyone else does the last few days before writing begins, but I've been trying to relax and let plot points and character sketches wash over me like waves on a sea shore. When they do, I make notes for myself.

I'm ready to start. Let's get on with it!

Lifeline and A.S.Ford like this.
  13. Kinzvlle

It would have been had I not cracked into the stash prior to the writing. This is why I can`t have junk in the house, no self-control. I may not be able to start writing Friday with deadlines but i`ll try.

A.S.Ford likes this.
  14. A.S.Ford

A.S.Ford Active Member

I am exactly the same, haha!

15. A.S.Ford

A.S.Ford Active Member

Camp starts at midnight :D Good luck to all of you starting at 00:00 and also to anyone, like me, who has to wait until Friday to begin writing!

I was planning on sharing my daily progress with you all on here, so if you would like to do the same then that would be awesome, as it couldn't hurt to have extra support outside of your Camp cabin ... just an idea :)

datahound2u and Tenderiser like this.
  16. Tenderiser

Tenderiser Not a man or BayView

I'm all ready to go!

I'm 'cheating' a little because I have 65k words of a first draft (although I did write them in three weeks so it's not really a cheat). What I'll be doing during April is revising and finalising. So my word count each day will be "this many words are now ready for beta readers". Seems a lot of people in my cabin are doing the same--revising/finishing a previous work rather than starting a new one.

datahound2u likes this.
  17. A.S.Ford

A.S.Ford Active Member

Sounds good :) I have seen and heard quite a few people who use either one or both Camps for editing and there is no harm in that as the Camp is open to any kind of project (one of the reasons why I prefer it to the November NaNo). I had to write the creative part of my Dissertation (a 7,500 word story) before Camp starts otherwise I won't reach my university deadline but I have still kept my word count goal the same as I will be using Camp to write the other assignments (as planned), the remaining 2,500 words of my Dissertation (an essay discussing my creative process of writing the story), and editing the creative piece for my Dissertation. I hope your editing goes well!

Last edited: Mar 31, 2016
    datahound2u and Tenderiser like this.
  18. A.S.Ford

A.S.Ford Active Member

Only an hour and a half left over here in the U.K! Good luck to everyone :D

19. PassTheDrinks

PassTheDrinks New Member

I have never heard of this before. Can someone please elaborate for me?

20. A.S.Ford

A.S.Ford Active Member

Sure!
    Camp NaNoWriMo is a part of NaNoWriMo (which stands for National Novel Writing Month) which is held in November. The Camps are held in April and July and vary from the November NaNo in a few ways. For example: in the Camps you become part of a virtual 'cabin' which usually includes 10 other members who are also writers which is pretty good for a support group and a bit of competition if you have that kind of streak. You can also choose your own personal word count goal (whereas the November one is set at 50,000 words for everyone) which again is good for obvious reasons. The challenge is that you meet your chosen word count goal by the last day of the month. It's that simple and that hard, haha. If you want to know more or want to sign up you can find the website at: campnanowrimo.org :)

21. PassTheDrinks

PassTheDrinks New Member

Thank you for this. I think I will take a look.

Love_Aud and A.S.Ford like this.
  22. A.S.Ford

A.S.Ford Active Member

You're welcome! :)

23. Kinzvlle

Only a few hours from the start for those of us in the EST zone. I went to the pre-camp virtual write in, and really enjoyed myself. I was afraid I wouldn`t be able to make them with school but 2-3 pst is 5-6 est so it`s in the clear. My cabin also seems to be really active, I`ve heard not all cabins are like this so I guess I'm lucky. One of my cabinmates is working on his graphic novel and has agreed to draw my char which is awesome.

I`m rather excited. I could write right at the start...but as I have places to be in the morning I'll hopefully be in bed before then. Hopefully, since my sleeping is tied to one last piece of a assignment.

A.S.Ford likes this.
  24. A.S.Ford

A.S.Ford Active Member

I'm glad you enjoyed yourself :) I've never managed to make it to a virtual write-in myself before, unfortunately. It's good that your cabin is so active as it is helpful to have a good early experience with Camp ... my cabins before have always been lively but this one seems a little quiet this time. I am hoping my July cabin will be a lot more active but it definitely should be if I am able to invite anyone from here doing the same Camp into the cabin (which I am hoping happens) :) I was just as excited as you when it came to midnight here, haha, and was tempted to start there and then, but, also like you, I have to be at a meeting this morning (with my Dissertation lecturer - just a general check up on my progress) so I had to go to sleep rather than write. I should be writing after my meeting ends though which will be good :)

25. A.S.Ford

A.S.Ford Active Member

Did anyone start at midnight where they are? How did you all do?

I can't wait to start writing later!