1. AmyWriter

AmyWriter Member

Nanowrimo - a dream -

Discussion in 'NaNoWriMo' started by AmyWriter, Aug 21, 2015.

When I was younger NaNoWriMo was something I looked forward to. I loved writing. Finally, when I reached my NaNoWriMo goal of 1,000 words at age 8 years, I realized that writing was what I was meant to do. It's my meaning in life. And now I'm working on publishing my very first book. So, if you have children, I strongly suggest that you nudge them to do NaNoWriMo. But, no more than a nudge is needed if they're a true writer.

2. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

I started my novel with NoNoWriMo. Still working on it, but it's getting closer. :)

3. ManOrAstroMan

ManOrAstroMan Magical Space Detective Contributor

I didn't enjoy writing until junior year of high school, when an English teacher had us write a short story, the only restrictions being a minimum length and school appropriateness. I wrote a ten page supernatural thriller and got great encouragement. For the longest time, writing was something you had to do, and there was a right way to do it and a wrong way to do it. It was a chore. I had always wanted to work in comic books, and wrote dialogue and plots for my home made comics, but it wasn't until that class that I considered writing stories and novels.

4. Gloves37

Gloves37 New Member

I love that story. Creative writing is something that needs to be encouraged a lot more in schools. It gives kids a chance to express themselves and create something that might just turn out to be truly wonderful. Too often, the writing in schools is focused on reports, research, and other mundane tasks that turn kids off writing altogether. Just think of how many great writers the world might have missed out on because the education system forced them write about something that they couldn't have cared less about, rather than about something for which they were truly passionate. I would never have started writing if I didn't have an idea in college to create a sports humor blog on a whim. I quickly found writing to be a passion of mine because I was doing something I wanted to do, the way I wanted to do it. Slowly, I began to diversify my writing. And here I am today, in the midst of writing a novel that I absolutely love. I wish someone would have me the nudge a little sooner.

ManOrAstroMan likes this.