1. Mike Kobernus

Mike Kobernus Contributing Member

NaNoWriMo anyone?

Discussion in 'NaNoWriMo' started by Mike Kobernus, Oct 24, 2013.

Hello all.

I have signed up, for the first time, for the NaNoWriMo.

Most of my writing has been in the scientific world, and is most definitely not fiction but I have always had a yearning to do more. So now I will give it a go and see what happens.

I noticed that the NaNoWriMo site generates a very tidy url, so it is obviously possible to provide a link to your own novel.

Is it common practice to review these amongst the forum members?

I think that it would be quite interesting to see what other people are doing, and I have no qualms about others seeing my own work as it progresses.

Thoughts?

2. Burlbird

Burlbird Contributing Member Contributor

"Sharing your work on internet will make it hard for you to find a publisher later" - to quote the post right after my post :) I'm sort of a precog :)

On the serious side: NNWM is good exercise, and has produced a couple of good novels. Of course, after 30 days of non-stop writing, you are probably going to take a few months break before returning to your text. :) I'm thinking of maybe "participating" this year - althought due to not writing in English, word count is somewhat not an issue for me (I use sort-of-a conversion between 50,000 words in English being equivalent to 35,000 words in my language, but it's not exactly a very precise thing).

3. Mike Kobernus

I am intrigued. What language are you writing in that it has a 30% smaller word count for the same basic meaning?

4. ChaosReigns

ChaosReigns Be Still and Know Contributor

Japanese is one im thinking of, same with chinese, they use a symbol system rather that the characters we write in, but somewhat i doubt it would be either of those

5. Burlbird

One of several versions of Serbo-croatian :) we don't have articles, auxiliary verbs are differently used, and words tend to be longer because of declinsion/conjugation endings. For example, the first sentence in this post has 35 letters and 6 words in English and 37 letters and 5 words in Serbian :)

6. Mike Kobernus

That is quite interesting..I never really gave much thought to how word length varies from one language to another. At least, with regards to writing competitions where word length matters. :)

This would rule out pictographic scripts, I would think... "Our validator doesn't handle non-Latin characters sets, sadly, so there may be an issue with becoming an official winner." From the FAQ section.

7. JJ_Maxx

JJ_Maxx Banned

Well, the actual NaNoWriMo site does not store your novel and is not for sharing or displaying your work. It only keeps track of your word count. If you wish to place your novel somewhere else, such as FictionPress than others could view it.

The official website allows cover art, a synopsis and an excerpt to each years entry.

8. Lewdog

Lewdog Come ova here and give me kisses! Supporter Contributor

What are the benefits of signing up for the site?

9. JJ_Maxx

JJ_Maxx Banned

The site is a gathering focal point for the challenge of writing a 50,000 word novel in 30 days. You can browse the forums, get resources and tips and get motivation from guest speakers. And then, if you win, you can feel good about yourself and share your victory with others.

10. Lewdog

So you submit your novel and they judge them? What if your novel goes over 50,000 words?

11. JJ_Maxx

JJ_Maxx Banned

Nope no judging, it's an automated word counter. It's on the honor system.

The whole point of NaNoWriMo is to finish a rough draft, which is usually the hardest part for most people. If you hit 50k, usually you're not done and you wind up with more. That's okay, you still 'win'.

Winning is finishing. Then you spend the next six months of so editing and, if you want, start shopping it around to publishers.

Ya know the book/movie 'Water For Elephants'? That was a NaNoWriMo novel. ;)

Daniel likes this.
  12. Lewdog

I'll be honest, I have a medical problem that effects my attention span so it is hard for me to stay focused on things very long, that's why I don't have a novel done already. It's definitely not due to the lack of ideas. I have enough of those for me and half the country. Usually when I write short stories I can pop out a 650 word short story in 30 minutes so 1667 words in a day would be as easy as pie. Of course that would be under ideal circumstances where I am able to keep my mind on it. In fact I think I could easily write 4-5,000 words a days no problem. I guess I'll try and see how it goes. I'm just worried that my Lollard's idea might become too complicated to keep within the time constraints. Who knows?

13. Edward M. Grant

Edward M. Grant Contributing Member

It's worth noting that you don't have to finish the story, just the 50,000 words.

Mine are usually about 50,100 words with notes in various places about scenes I have to write to finish the story.

14. Burlbird

You don't even have to write all the time - hitting the daily word quota is what keeps it going, so copy-paste, automatic writing and nonsense words are okey :)

I think NaNo is primarily a motivational thing, like JJ said... And there is something in the very idea of "just write 50k in a month" that I find a bit subversive... but it's probably just my dirty mind :D

15. Komposten

Komposten Insanitary pile of rotten fruit Staff Supporter Contributor

NaNoWriMo sounds like a really interesting project, though I don't think I'd manage it D:
    I've got too much to do, and my writing is just so slow...

I hope I can still give it a try sometime though, just to get the feel for it. For now I'll practice writing shorts. :p

16. Mike Kobernus

I had not realised that the novels were not judged, and while this detracts somewhat from my interest level, I still think that it works as a good motivational tool. I am plotting out my story now. I actually have no idea what it takes to write a book in a month, but I welcome the opportunity to try. I posted a synopsis and I dashed off a 'snippet' already, so I am geared up for the kick-off!

17. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

They are deliberately not judged. The notion behind Nano is to encourage you to open the floodgates and leave your inner critic bound and gagged in a utility closet for the month. They want you to produce content -- not a polished manuscript, just a raggedy first draft. Do your proofing and cleanup after the month is over, and you've had a restful coma for a couple days.

It's not for everyone. I work best when I start each session with a few minutes going back and making changes that occurred to me between sessions. That just won't work with NaNo unless you have a LOT of free time on your hands.

18. m24p

m24p Member

I've got a story idea that would be fun to bang out, so I'm going to do the NaNoWriMo thing for my first time this year. I hope it produces something interesting. The difficult part for me will be, I suspect, learning to leave unpolished edges. I think that's part of why most of my creative work goes slowly - be it writing fiction or producing music.