National Stalking Awareness Month

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Cosmos, Jan 5, 2010.

Tags:
  1. Cosmos

Cosmos New Member

Indeed there are generally two mentalities to stalkers, either the bully type or the type. The bully type can generally be cowed or ignored into giving up but the rage type won't. Unfortunately far too many underestimate the unstable personality of a rage type (or even bully type), and people up hurt as a result. A show of force doesn't always work as sometimes the stalker feels like they've been challenged and even when the quality of life is at risk, they'd fight back. So it's very important to understand what type of personality you're dealing with before you take action (or inaction, for that matter).

2. ChimmyBear

ChimmyBear Writing for the love of it. Contributor

Having been stalked by my ex husband and and a co-worker, I'll just say that you never know who it might be. I had a friend who was stalked by one of her friends. Who would have thought a friend would become a stalker. I am very careful to watch out for what is going on around me and I never take anything so lightly that I'm taken off guard.

3. NaCl

NaCl Contributor Contributor

Get a pit bull...much more effective than an old, has-been tough guy...LOL

Course, you could do what my daughters have done...they go shooting handguns at the local firing range together...kind of a girls' night out, only they're checking out target groupings instead of lattes at Starbucks. I pity any stalker who goes too far with one of my little angels. Course, they all have husbands/committed partners who would seriously kick butt, long before any firearm escalation was needed.

BTW - One son-in-law is 6'7", an ex-Division 1A football lineman and VERY much in love with my daughter after 15 years of marriage. Another is covered in tattoos, 275# and looks like a biker gang leader...he put a guy through a wall at a club one time when the guy wouldn't take "no" from my daughter (this was before they started dating). Despite his looks, he's actually a very accomplished artist and a gentle sole who can turn on "tough" when he must. The last son-in-law looks very average...5' 10, 170#...oh, but he owns sniper rifles, hand guns and collects Samurai swords and there is no limit to his love for my daughter. All my girls are pretty safe. Plus, my son is very protective of his little sisters...he packs a .45 for a living. I think I can retire from the days when I was the sole protector of my family.

Back to Carmen's OP question. Despite my age, I would not hesitate to get involved if I saw someone attempting to harm a woman or child. It troubles me that we have so many cowards in society these days.

1 person likes this.
  4. hiddennovelist

hiddennovelist Contributor Contributor

Wow, some people have had some very scary stalking experiences! When I was stalked by my coworker who wanted to date me, he never actually did anything to me, but I have to admit that could have been because all of my guy friends at work were very vigilant and protective. Still, it was very stressful and worrisome to have to always wonder if something was going to happen.

When my ex and his friends were stalking me, I just ignored them, and eventually they stopped for the most part. I definitely got lucky there.

5. writewizard

writewizard New Member

I'm sorry for you all. I'm glad about this national stalking awareness month, I think it will be good. However, I will now pay closer attention to who's following me. :)

6. hiddennovelist

hiddennovelist Contributor Contributor

Just don't pay too much attention. I get a little too paranoid sometimes...