1. Nukilik_Ulva

Nukilik_Ulva New Member

Natrual disasters?

Discussion in 'Research' started by Nukilik_Ulva, Jul 15, 2011.

For the manuscipt I have been writing, everyday there is a "natrual" disaster. Examples:

A drought that occurs in the matter of seconds

A blizzard, that, instead of being bitting cold is actually an acid snow that burns, though still it's a blizzard

An undercurrent in an ocean that, instead of being not too threatening, is strong enought to kill several people

These are all natrual disaster that I have just toyed with. Though when writing about a few weeks time... you start to run out of ideas. If you can think of natrual disasters, either common or almost never heard of, please share I need the ideas.

Secondly Limnic Erruptions. I know these are rare. And there isn't enough documentry on them for me to completly understand how they work. I know I sound stupid, but if someone could explain to me in an easy-to-understand language that would be great!

Thanks

~Rea

2. Islander

Islander Contributor Contributor

Swarms of lightning strikes.
    Swarms of kugelblitzen.
    Sudden, massive rains which cause rivers and dams to overflow.
    A sudden rise in the ground water level - water starts pouring up from the ground and flood houses.
    Bridges and buildings unexpectedly collapse from wear-down.
    Weeds burst through the asphalt in cities.
    Trees unexpectedly fall down over roads, streets, houses, power stations, etc.
    Sudden tornadoes and cycloons.
    Sudden hailstorms.
    Recurring earthquakes.
    Magma breaks through the ground, creating new volcanoes.
    The Earth's magnetic field fluctuates, causing increased radiation from space, and birds with built-in compasses become confused.
    Animals start attacking humans in packs.
    The sun spot activity increases, disrupting radio communications.

Ok, the first thing to understand is that gases can be dissolved in liquids. This is exactly what a carbonated drink is: it's the gas carbon dioxide dissolved in water.

However, gases are pretty easily driven out of the water. There are at least three methods to do this:

1. Decrease the pressure. When you decrease the pressure in a soda bottle by opening it, bubbles start to form. That's the carbon dioxide leaving the liquid.

2. Heat the liqud. For example, before water boils, air bubbles form along the bottom and sides of the container.

3. If the liquid is very saturated with gas, stirring or shaking it is enough to drive the gas out - again, this is easily seen with a carbonated drink.

Now imagine a lake with lots of carbon dioxide dissolved in its water (the carbon dioxide comes from volcanic activity). If the temperature increases by a few degrees at the bottom, the carbon dioxide starts being driven out. The water at the bottom becomes full of bubbles which rise quickly to the top, dragging the bottom water with it. When the bottom water reaches the higher layers of the lake, where pressure is lower, even more carbon dioxide is released, which causes it to rise quicker, and so on.

If the conditions are right (the lake has a source of carbon dioxide, it's very deep, the waters are undisturbed and have been able to build up carbon dioxide for years, and so on), a huge cloud of carbon dioxide is formed around the lake, and since it contains too little oxygen, humans and animals suffocate.

The eruption can also be triggered by something else which disturbs the water and causes the bottom water to start rising up, like a landslide.

3. Nukilik_Ulva

Nukilik_Ulva New Member

Thank you so much! This really helps alot. Though I should mention the story doesnt take place in cities where we normally would think of our humanity structures and supports being important they are in complete outdoors/wilderness and utter isolation from any form of technology of any sort. And there actually isn't a sun... it would take me a while to explain. Again thanks and if anyone has more ideas please express them! You can't give me too many. :love:

~Rea