1. 7XshadowolfX7

7XshadowolfX7 Member

Really putting across Hatred

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by 7XshadowolfX7, Sep 17, 2016.

So not so long ago I made a post about dealing with loss. My MCs wife is killed point blanc in front of him, and later on the second woman he allows into his life is supposedly dead. I got a lot of great advice on how my MC would deal with the loss as great as that.

But what if the killer of his Wife, and supposed killer of the second woman, was his own brother? He knows his brother took his wife, but never got revenge. A lot of time has passed and his brother takes the second woman from him. What sort of hatred would he feel? Brood? How would he express such anger?

Please bare in mind a lot of the time he is just cold, and distant. I plan on only having a few parts of my book where he unleashes what he bottles down.

I dont know what some of you guys might think? @big soft moose @Marlon Manalese

2. Nicola

Nicola Member

He would probably feel conflicted about his brother, someone he is supposed to love unconditionally. The first time he would lock the feelings down, maybe seriously consider cutting him off.

The second time there wouldn't even be a shred of forgiveness. It would be a blind and all-consuming rage that he can no longer contain and would feel very satisfying to unleash, he may not be fully responsible for his actions so his revenge would be rather messy, if his rage was controlled his revenge would be carefully premeditated.

7XshadowolfX7 likes this.
  3. ChickenFreak

ChickenFreak Contributor Contributor

Maybe? Consider? If someone killed my guy, there would be no "maybe" or "consider" about cutting that person off from all positive interaction with me. Any interaction would be about criminal charges and prison.

Lyrical and Sifunkle like this.
  4. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    Ooh I know, I know! :p

If your MC is harboring a building rage over the loss of his wife, it really won't matter who it is. Think of it like this: Pulling the pin on a grenade and letting cook in your hand.
    In more specific terms, the guy is going to lose his shit, and do one of three things.

1. He takes all that rage and physically beats and breaks the guy, utilizing the up close and personal approach to make his point before killing violently.
    2. He takes away everyone and everything that the other loves before doing numero uno.
    3. He festers and plans out something truly horrifying, allowing the other to think they are not going to see retribution. And in a moment of weakness
    he exacts his excruciating vengeance, all the while reminding the other of the pain and suffering they had caused before killing them.

One of my MCs literally goes on a total rampage when his adopted daughter gets captured. At one point he beats the hell out of a small squad of soldiers that get in his way with his bare hands and using an assault rifle as a club. The last of the squad he kills her by using brute force to break her spine on his knee (breaks her with just raw physical strength). And that is just a bit of what he does to find his daughter and get her back. After he does, he continues on his blood lust with a fairly decent squad of two different types of aliens, and flat out slaughters the remaining enemy units just because (utilizing a split blade combat knife called a Cervical Seperator as it is meant to be used on the spinal column, and a .50 Desert Eagle that is an antique in the time period they are in).

7XshadowolfX7 likes this.
  5. Sifunkle

Sifunkle Dis Member

I think it depends on your character. How impulsive is he - might he take matters into his own hands on the spur of the moment? How moralistic is he? How much faith does he have in the authorities/the legal system - would he contain his urges and follow criminal justice? How obsessive is he - would he plot revenge for ages, or would he have other priorities in life to get on with in the meantime?

I agree with ChickenFreak - the first murder is beyond the pale. What's gone on in between the first killing and the alleged second? That probably also influences how the MC will feel/act.

(Off-topic but) that is not what I imagined a Cervical Separator would be... :oops:

6. Cave Troll

That is why I clarified what it was for. It would be fairly odd reason for someone to invent a combat knife that is used for cutting out cervices don't you think. Pretty sure the Alien Lizard man that created it didn't want to over complicate something that would be used to kill. Also don't think he was sexist either. :p

spine_anatomy_diagram.jpg So kindly keep your knives away from a ladies bits will ya. :supersmile:

7. Sifunkle

Sifunkle Dis Member

I'd best change careers then :( (depending on what counts as 'ladies', I suppose). FWIW, I'd find a Spinal/Vertebral Separator far more versatile than a Cervical Separator, but I doubt I have the combat expertise of an Alien Lizard man :D

Cave Troll likes this.
  8. 7XshadowolfX7

7XshadowolfX7 Member

@Cave Troll

Yeah, I really like a rage consuming killing frenzy. And the idea of: "And in a moment of weakness
    he exacts his excruciating vengeance, all the while reminding the other of the pain and suffering they had caused before killing them." You mentioned.

I dont know if you have watched a tv series called "Person of Interest"? (Best tv series ever) But I'm thinking of adding a bit of what the Charector Mr.Reese does/is. He's above the law, a capable killer, and is like a ghost. He doesn't exist. He would use this to go round and take out one by one his enemies. As well as that my MC will give a longer, more painful form of revenge.

Thanks for your ideas :)

Cave Troll likes this.
  9. 7XshadowolfX7

7XshadowolfX7 Member

Yeah so, after the killing, his brother goes into hiding. He was to afraid to finish off his brother after shooting his wife. But he comes back after a few years, captures his brother and tortures him to near death. Then basically put, his brother forgets about him, and he walks a free man. But he wants back at his brother, to torture him just like how he was tortured. (He was tortured for about 2 years. Brutally. Like the joker from batman would torture sombody.

On his quest to hunt down his brother, and kill all his friends, is when he meets the second woman. Who is then kidnapped by his brothers henchmen.

10. Cave Troll

Well to put this all behind on the name of a knife made by a 7+ Ft. Reptilian guy. Simply they have another word for the lady part that means the same as cervex, and the Alien Race over all have a longer neck than humans (nothing absurdly long but noticeably so). Basically it had to get some 'technical' name shortly before it could go into production for military use. Overall they speak a different language from where they come from, and have a long history of perfecting bladed weaponry. :p

11. geraldN

geraldN Banned